Cressi Archimede/ Nitek Duo / Apeks Quantum Interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meng_Tze

Homo Bonae Voluntatis
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been looking at all three (Archimede, Duo and Quantum) computers and think they are actually the same computer. The menuse and slightly different, some settings (levels in altitude vary slightly) but basically the same computer. Even to the extend of Physical layout (backside sensor/battery compartment and reset switch).
So this leads me to believe that maybe they interface is also the same (seem to all have the same distance between connectors at the front).

Is there anyone out there who has the schematics/ software for any of these computers? I would immagine the cressi to give us best chances since Apeks and Nitek are too 'new' on the market. I want to build one and see if this will work with all three.

This would safe us all $$ for buying commercial interfaces.
Any info PM me.

I had just sent an email to apeks asking about the computer interface/software. This is what I got back yesterday.

Unfortunately we do not have the interfaces in stock as yet but we have been informed that we will have them by August at the latest.

We are told that the interface cable will be USB for both the Pulse and Quantum.

I would imagine that the software will be windows based only, but i will keep your details and let you know if Linux or Mac are supported as soon as i have the information.

regards

Peter Greenwell
Sales and Marketing Executive
Apeks Marine Equipment Ltd
/Quote

I'm guessing that it won't be as easy to build an interface (like you can for suunto) because of the usb interface. It's all a bit academic for me as a Mac user, I was just hoping someone might be able to put something together. It's being done slowly for the suunto's but I guess these are going to be an even smaller niche market.

J.

Thanks for the info FreeFlyer.

If I am correct and the three computers are the same, then we should be able to use the same software (data format should be the same) and interface as the Cressi. This interface has been available for some time, but did not get the best reviews in the world based on keeping contact with the computer.

As for USB v.s. RS232, both can be built...:)

Meng_Tze:
Thanks for the info FreeFlyer.

If I am correct and the three computers are the same, then we should be able to use the same software (data format should be the same) and interface as the Cressi. This interface has been available for some time, but did not get the best reviews in the world based on keeping contact with the computer.

As for USB v.s. RS232, both can be built...:)

I have used the Archimede for about a year now, and have generally liked it better than the Cobras my wife and daughter use. it is easier to read and the user-interface is more intuituitive.

However, I've heard nothing but complaints about the PC Interface, which still have not come out in the new USB version, which was promised over a year ago. Heroic kludges to attempt to fix such obvious potential problems as unreliable contact )with the constantly exposed, rounded contact points) have been publicized by some kind users. The effort isd appreciated, but their use of crumpled aluminum foil doesn't inspire confidence either.

So I've avoided buying the interface so far, but am getting desperate, as this computer apparently resets itself after 40 or fifty dives. Any suggestions??

Okay,
Here is an update. I have been in contact with Apeks Cust support for some time and this week they have sold me an interface for the quantum. They are still not ready for distribution (packaging issues), but given my interaction and long wait, Apeks will send me one.

I will test this when I am back home in the UK NOV 1st and let you know.

Meng_Tze:
Okay,
Here is an update. I have been in contact with Apeks Cust support for some time and this week they have sold me an interface for the quantum. They are still not ready for distribution (packaging issues), but given my interaction and long wait, Apeks will send me one.

Great to hear you finally got one. I was thinking of emailing them again this week. I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with it. I'll be back in the UK at christmas, and hopefully they will have them for sale by then. Do you mind if I ask how much it was?

Thanks,

Justin.

Freeflyer:
Great to hear you finally got one. I was thinking of emailing them again this week. I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with it. I'll be back in the UK at christmas, and hopefully they will have them for sale by then. Do you mind if I ask how much it was?

Thanks,

Justin.

Expensive: £84. ex VAT..............

Meng_Tze:
I'm trying to decide between a Suunto Vyper and an Apeks Quantum. Please post an update as soon as you test the software. I'm really interested to know how well it works and what features it provides. Is the interface USB? Is there a manual in PDF? If so, please PM me. Thanks.

Daryl Morse:
I'm trying to decide between a Suunto Vyper and an Apeks Quantum. Please post an update as soon as you test the software. I'm really interested to know how well it works and what features it provides. Is the interface USB? Is there a manual in PDF? If so, please PM me. Thanks.

I have tried it and am a bit disappointed. The software has basic functionality. The interface is of mediocre quality. It has USB interface though.

All in all for the price of 91 Pounds not a lot of value for money. Basic configuration at a high price. Don't get me wrong, I like the computer it self, just not the price for the interface.

Meng_Tze:
I have tried it and am a bit disappointed. The software has basic functionality. The interface is of mediocre quality. It has USB interface though.

All in all for the price of 91 Pounds not a lot of value for money. Basic configuration at a high price. Don't get me wrong, I like the computer it self, just not the price for the interface.

Thank you for your information, and especially for taking "point" for the rest of us Archimede, etcetera owners. What do you mean you say that the software is basic? That it only more or less duplicates what the readout functions do? Is it at least fairly stable? Are the contacts with the computer reliable? Could you possible ask your well-established contacts with Apeks to ask them whether this interface should also work with the Archimede. (We have four of their regs, but baought the Archimede before they came out with their version.

Back
Top Bottom