Cressi Edy, fix alarm sound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no need to push. There are couple kOhms of resistance between the spring and other contacts detectable without applying any pressure (battery removed). As @DIVEWATCHDOCTOR said:
The faint sound you can hear with the cover removed is probably generated by the internal electronic oscillator connected to the spring contact that feeds the piezoelectric crystal.

Zai.gezundt,

I noticed in your picture that the battery does NOT have the original self glued sticker with specific instructions on how to reset the computer after replacing the battery. That prompts the question: did you reset it? You are supposed to momentarily short circuit two bronze contacts at about 7:30. Take a look at the link to the youtube video on how to replace the battery and how to reset it after you install the new battery. The video has some brief instructions in Spanish but you will easily learn how to reset it even if you don't speak the language.

@DIVEWATCHDOCTOR :

Yes, there is a sticker (now not very sticky though) that has instructions to reset by short circuiting AC contacts. And yes, it was done when the battery was replaced. The only effect it had was zeroing time and date similar to the video. Moreover I suspected that this sticker could serve as an insulator between base and inner circle of piezoelectric element. But alarm couldn't be heard when cover was removed and spring and base contacts were connected to piezoelectric element by separate wires.

There is additional instruction on the sticker not to turn white cross dial. Could be clock rate adjustment. Cressi's Edy manual is mum on the subject.

zai.gezund,

Did you reinstall the sticker after replacing the battery? In servicing Cressi Edys I have always reinstalled the sticker (even using a drop of silicon glue when necessary) so I don't know if not doing so could prevent the piezoelectric crystal from beeping. However, I have done that same experiment with a few of the many Citizen HyperAqualands that I've serviced. HyperAqualand has a thin insulator (not a sticker) on top (+ terminal) of the battery preventing contact with the case back. Guess what? ..you leave the insulator out and the dive watch will not beep. Reinstall it and it beeps normally.

@DIVEWATCHDOCTOR :

I couldn't reinstall sticker because, as mentioned in the previous post, it isn't very sticky and doesn't stay attached. But after cleaning contacts as you suggested I tried to connect terminals to piezoelectric element by clamps and wires. So there is no contact between + and the cover. Did you try to do the same with your watches by any chance?

@zai.gezundt

No, I've never tried that experiment with the Citizen HyperAqualand. To me, the real test has always been that the beeper must work with the case back closed. From your first picture (I don't have an open Edy in front of me) I reckon that the two "reed" shaped contacts are connected to the battery + terminal. Thus, they apply +3V to the metallic case back and, by electrical continuity, to the hidden part of the piezoelectric beeper which is attached to the metallic case. When activated by the internal electronics, the spring applies some sort of oscillating signal between 0 and +3V to the "visible" side of the beeper producing the buzzing vibration of the element. In absence of the isolating sticker, +3V is also applied to the "visible" side of the beeper preventing it to buzz when the electric signal comes out of the spring. I suppose by this time you have already closed back your Edy so probably you'll have to wait for the next battery change to reinstall the sticker (even cutting a correct size round piece of scotch tape will do) and check if that brings back the beeper.

@DIVEWATCHDOCTOR :

I did not close watch and tried piece of tape out of due diligence. I suspected it will be no different from attempt to connect piezoelectric by wires and silence confirmed it. Thank you for information and suggestions but by this time I already content with Edy being silent backup. Provided that I can install the gasket without breaking back cover seal.

On unrelated subject: do you happen to know if there is a way to wipe dive logs? I've see multiple threads on SB asking the same and the answer invariable is no with reasoning that permanent logs would provide valuable data in case of an accident. Sounds logical but how long watch memory will keep data without battery? Or, since watch is open, could there be way to reset by short circuiting some terminals (similar to required reset after battery change)?

@zai.gezundt

I suggest you buy a new Oring (Casio Part SGW400). 1) Clean the Oring groove with a Qtip with isopropyl alcohol. 2) Carefully lubricate Oring with silicon grease. 3) install Oring back making sure the "square" part fits in the corresponding part of the groove. 4. Close back the case without pushing the Oring out of the groove. 5. Screw back the four screws in diagonal pattern without fully tightening until the four are in place. 6. In a diagonal pattern tighten fully the screws and .. voila. If you want us to waterproof your Edy to 160 feet (take a look at our avatar) send it our way. It will cost you $ 25 plus return shipping, the test immersion will be the last recorded dive and you will be 100% sure your Edy will ready to go diving.

I am not aware of any way to erase previous dives on your computer. The Edy stores the last 60 dives and after that, a new dive will push out of the memory the first recorded dive. Memory is not erased during a battery change.

Back
Top Bottom