Critique my GoPro 6 lights for Tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I read a few threads on here that said for GoPro lighting, due to it being a wide lens, you will need 2 lights for better coverage. I also read that you need at least 2000+ lumens or you're wasting your time.

I didn't want to break the bank on Sola Light & Motion light since each light would be like $300+, on the low end.

I went with 2 - Big Blue AL1200XWP 1200 Lumens Extra Wide Beam LED Light that cost about $150 each. So I got two lights for the price of one Sola. The lumens I will have are 2400 total.

Big Blue AL1200XWP 1200 Lumens Extra Wide Beam LED Light

My set-up
GoPro Hero 6 Black
2 Big Blue AL1200XWP 1200 Lumens Extra Wide Beam LED Light
SRP Tray w/ arms for torches.
Backscatter Red Filters

I dive in the Carribean where visibility is usually 100 feet.

Just wanted to know if I'm missing anything and if my lighting will be okay? I'm not a pro by any means, just wanted to get some lighting in there since my videos when I go deeper than 60' tend to get very blue. See the image below. This a screenshot of a video of mine in Cozumel.

First is roughly around 30'.

image.png

Second is at 80'.

image.png

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
The setup looks good. I have a similar setup with a hero 6 but with 2000 lumen lights and a Knekt KDT tray, I like the thumb actuated shutter. I rarely run my lights at the 2000 lumen setting though. I primarily do stills. If you do stills, make sure you take your pictures in RAW because it gives you so much more flexibility in post. Also minimizing movement relative to your subject helps keep things sharp because at depth the lack of light and auto shutterspeed can induce blur. You can also test combinations of red filters and lights to see what works best. If you are so inclined, get a macro lens, it would work great with that setup and you will be surprised at the results.

PalauDiver--I really like the idea of that tray but see its no longer available. Any ideas as to where else I might look?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom