Critter ID - Swollen-claw mantis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Based on my Humann critter ID book, I THINK this is a Swollen-claw Mantis, but as it's the first time I have seen such a critter, I would appreciate confirmation (or an alternate suggestion). We were swimming over sand flats near the end of Santa Rosa wall and in about 35-40 feet of water as I recall. It was out in the open and seemed unafraid of us. A good two inches long; maybe closer to three
P1121230.JPG
P1121231.JPG
P1121234.JPG

Don't know which species, but definitely a mantis shrimp. Very cool!

Love the small stuff! Really neato! Thanks for posting.

Here's an interesting tidbit about mantis shrimps (stomatopod crustaceans). Look carefully at the photos and you will notice a distinct "band" running through the middle of the eye. The anatomy and physiology of the receptors in that part of the eye is different from the top and bottom parts of the eye. The receptors in the band contain rows that are sensitive to different wavelengths of light and polarized light. The mantis shrimps used polarized light reflections for communication signals amongst each other. In addition, some species have up to 12 different cone classes or color receptors, compared to three in humans. Surprisingly though, color discrimination in mantis shrimps is still not as good as what humans achieve!

great eye! loving these pix!

In December we got some pics of what appeared to be a male mantis shrimp trying to sexually harass a female (or perhaps it was the other way around?). Usually they are quite spooky and hide in their holes when one approaches. I've been told they hate things in their holes so if you take a little piece of seaweed or something and drop it in and wait they'll come up with it and toss it out. I tried it and it worked. I know, I know, "What if some giant tore a limb off a tree in your yard and stuffed it through your front door?". Well, I'd do the same as that mantis shrimp.

Anyway, these two doing their mating dance or whatever were oblivious to our presence and photography. Both about 3" long. Unfortunately not in the greatest focus but we all know how that goes...

PC160255.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom