Croaker Hole, we dove it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been researching a dive site called Croaker Hole, located in the St. John’s River, near Welaka, Florida for about a year. This site is unique in that it is seldom dived probably because it is accessible only from a boat and is not marked. In other words you’d have to know where it is or you’d never find it. I was determined to dive it.
I gathered all of my info and approached several dive buddies about the project and found everyone to be enthusiastic about the idea. We assembled six divers, all cave trained, made sure we had primary lights and quality backup lights, picked a date (Sunday November 6 and an alternate date. We found a perfect dive platform in a 22’ pontoon boat and used my 16’ StarCraft as a support boat. As the day approached I kept in touch with each diver to make sure nothing would stop this dive.
Sunday we assembled early at a restaurant where introductions were made for those who hadn’t dove together before and all equipment was transferred to three cars and two boats for the 70 mile trip. We put in to Little Lake George (part of the St. John’s River) about 11 AM. Our GPS showed us the general area about 4 miles from the launch site. Once in the area we asked several fishermen where Croaker Hole was and we were guided right to it. We dropped our anchors into the black water and fed out about 65’. The bottom went from 12’ to 45’ so we felt confident that this was the mouth of the cave. I put on my dive gear and solo dived to the river bottom to check out the anchors and report to the dive group the situation. The water was black and all light was gone in the first 24”. I went down the anchor line with my hand holding the canister light and line in front of my face. At about 32’ I came out of the black water into clear water and settled next to both anchors lying on white sand. I was amazed to find that I was in the mouth of the cave just as I had planned. Within the beam of my light were thousands of catfish, several blue crabs, and unfortunately empty and broken beer bottles. I picked up a couple of bottles, tucked them into my cummerbund and slowly rose back to the surface.
I reported my finding and team one, me and two dive buddies went back down. We tied off on a rock in the mouth of the cave and I started laying line. The cave was about 40’ wide at the mouth and about 25’ high. I laid the line on the right side of the cave moving against a strong current. I pulled and glided along this side until I had all 120’ of line out. Then tied off to retrace my path and observe the cave within sight of the line. My depth was only 51’ at the deepest. I pulled out the camera and took a few pictures of Blue Crabs, catfish, and try as I might I never was able to get a photo of the salt water shrimp which were everywhere. Soon we were down to thirds and started back up to daylight.
Team two entered the water and retraced my line to the back of the cave where they found a strong saltwater halocline was distorting their vision. I can’t tell you of their adventure except that they all came back grinning ear to ear.
The second dive of my team was to further explore the cave. We pushed to the back and found a small opening that could be entered into saltwater. But since we didn’t have anymore line we decided not to enter. We’ll save that for another day.
The second dive of team two went back down and recovered the reel and line, further exploring the cave. Both teams found upon turning that the current really pushed you from the back at about 3 knots.
While team two was retrieving the reel, we were visited by the State of Florida in the form of a wildlife officer in a semi-ridged boat. He told us that in the two years he’d patrolled this area we were the first divers he’d ever seen. “What are you diving for?” After we told him, he was amazed that an underwater cave and spring was there and that he hadn't seen anyone dive it, or that he didn’t know anything about it. Just as he was leaving team two surfaced, surprise to see the law tied to our pontoon boat.
We ended the day, a beautiful day, on flat water, brilliant sun, with good company and fond memories. All agreed this was a unique dive and that we will be back. Attached are a few pictures. Anyone else ever dive this site?

Great read, thanks for the report! :D Looking forward to your next set of dives at this site.

I have never dove it myself, but have heard /read multiple dive reports. Yours has been the best.

cool dive and story - thanks for sharing! I wanna say that Bill Belleville talks about a dive he did there in his book on the St Johns. Cant remember if it is that spring or not.

I dove it with some friends of mine some 12 years ago. One neat thing we did was once you got to the back end and the 'hole' kinda turned upwards, there were pockets of air or big bubbles of air on the ceiling. You could go up to them and take out your mouthpiece and breath the air there. Several did it together and we could all talk to one another just like we were on the surface.

Found out about this spot this past weekend. We were with the families so we weren't planning to anything more than just go down and take a look. No viz till we got to the bottom, then it opened up beautifully. Clear as crystal and lots of large stripped bass, catfish, and blue crabs. I wasn't planning on going too far becasue neither of us had a flashlight. Looking around though, I saw something laying in the dirt. It was blue and din't look like a shell or a rock. I swam over to check it out and sure enough...a FREE flashlight from West Marine!!! Of course I didn't expect it to work but...tadah...it came right on. Just wanted to say thanks to whoever dropped it or left it behind. If you want it back let me know.

Sure would like to see those pics, I know the original thread is old.

I grew up in Palatka in the late 80s. Used t occasionally see people diving this spot, but among fishremen, it is best know as a great place t fish stripers. It is closest to the town of Welaka. Google Maps even has the spring marked.

Not sure than I'll ever go in for cave training, but if I do this is one spot I want to revisit from my youth.

As info, below is the link to the St Johns River water management site Otis spring. I think the state also has a site, but could not find it.

Putnam County: Croaker Hole Spring

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom