Crocodile encounters in Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW Qe dove the Passage last year when we were staying at Max's resort (Sorido bay). Nothing about crocs was mentioned, and the dive was ... fine. A long boat trip is mostly what I remember. And coming up from a "blue hole" into a grove of trees? Or was it a cave?

I frankly wondered why we were there.

- Bill
To be honest the Passage is not a very good dive. So many better "mangrove with soft coral" style dives in Raja without the fast currents and better visibility and of course less crocky :)

I'm new to the community, but not new to Raja Ampat, having sailed and dived here for more than 10 months over the past few years. I have never seen a croc and don't want to, but I do listen to the info from live aboards and dive resorts. BioDiversity Eco Resort on Gam no longer takes divers to the Kabui Passage due to a croc sighting there in the past 2 weeks. FYI, the croc attack on the Russian snorkeler happened on the small island of Minyaifun, (not Kabui) about 20nm NW of Kabui Passage, but only 6 miles for so from mainland Weigeo. Crocs are good swimmers! Despite all this, many of us still dive and snorkel the mangroves at Yangello (Yangeffo), and even recently at Kabui (but we hadn't had internet for a month, so hadn't heard the latest sighting!) I think Kabui is off the list for the time being.

Ive found so many cool nudis in the passage. I love that dive.

Back
Top Bottom