Crocodile fatality - Vonavona Lagoon, Solomon Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Solomon diver dies in crocodile attack - Fiji Times Online
SOLOMON Is: A MAN in his 20s died yesterday in a crocodile attack just outside Barasipo Village, about 20 metres from the shore of Vonavona Lagoon in the Western Province.

The Royal Solomon Islands Police Force said the man was believed to have gone on a diving trip with another man yesterday where he was attacked.

Provincial Police Commander (PPC) Western, Chief Superintendent Mathias Lenialu said the death was now being investigated and the findings to be submitted to the coroner for determination.

Chief Superintendent Lenialu urged the people to be more careful of crocodiles if sighted in the sea, at coastal areas, rivers, creeks and streams.

I'm curious if this was a "special" crocodile dive or a chance encounter. We were in Cuba a few months ago and did a special crocodile dive where a juvenile about 4 feet long swam around us and then a larger one came over in the area. I never felt uncomfortable, but this dive is probably done several times a week.

I believe the croc.s dove with out of Cuba are American crocodiles, which tend to inhabit brackish water.

The Solomon's are known for 'salt water crocodiles,' judging from a little Googling, a species that I believe is a whole other level of dangerous (big ones of either species can kill you, but if I had pick what to be in the water with...).

I expect this was a chance encounter.

One webpage at World Nomads (turned up Googling) had this to say - "About 50 people are killed every year by saltwater crocodiles. These are locals, well-acquainted with the ever-present danger. Unsuspecting tourists are well advised to seek advice before entering unfamiliar waters and to be wary in any case."

The Guardian has a page and notes "There have been more than 10 crocodile attacks on people this year, as well as dozens of assaults on livestock and domestic animals around the Solomon Islands, which is home to 600,000 people.
However, the actual number of incidents is probably far greater, as attacks often happen in remote regions of the country where villagers take crocodile control into their own hands and do not report attacks to authorities."

Evidently, croc. attacks in the Solomon Islands are generating controversy. I wonder to what extent divers ought to be concerned about this?

Richard.

If somebody is spearing fish near shore I would think that would be a big croc attractant. Fish is part of their normal diet.

Correct - Solomons salties are a completely different animal than the American crocodile. They really don't need any attractants - if they want to grab something Be it human, horse, cow off the banks they will

I believe some salt water crocs can reach 7 metres (23 feet) in length although most are smaller than this. Either way meeting one would be most people's worst nightmare

Saltwater crocodiles have reactions 20 times faster than a man, can outrun a racehorse over a short distance, can jump out of the water up to their hind legs, are very aggressive so much so they will kill and eat another crocodile in their territory, they can jump vertically out of the water up to their hind legs and want to eat you.

Based on where it happened, I would guess it was a local spearfishing which attracted the crocodile. From my experience and understanding, the crocs in the Solomons are not that big, certainly less than 2 metres, unlike the 5 metre giants found in northern Australia.

crocodilian attack database - CrocBITE | Worldwide Crocodilian Attack Database
this year - 48 victims at this moment. One diver, two - spear-fishing, most - during fishing

Thanks for sharing the database. Interesting database. Indonesia leads the pack at 903, more than twice of India, more than 4 times of Australia, more than 24 times of Solomon, and yet, I don’t hear much about a diver get attacked by the salt-water croc there. May be once or twice in Raja Ampat (Misool’s “Blue Water Mangroves” & “The Passage” between Waigeo & Gam islands), but not as many as the statistics show.

I heard about the croc attack in Blue Water Mangroves (BWM) when I stayed in Misool Eco Resort (MER) in April 2014. MER discouraged me to dive in BWM.
Croc Attacks Diver in Raja Ampat: The Follow-Up: Undercurrent 08/2009

I doved in The Passage twice (in Dec 2015 & May 2016) before I knew about the croc attack there. So in Nov 2017 we decided to skip diving The Passage.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...ist-killed-crocodile-scuba-diving-7673223.amp
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...an-tourist-killed-by-a-crocodile-in-indonesia

B2FF43BE-C4B1-4470-9F1D-2EB9F561FE57.jpeg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom