Crossover question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamarketing

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So I'm a PADI Master Instructor/EFRIT + TDI Full Cave diver + TDI Advanced Nitrox diver (with hopefully Extended Range & Deco Procedures coming within the next few months) and am considering crossing over so I can start achieving some tech and possibly cave instructor ratings.

I spoke with someone from TDI at the Long Beach Scuba Show who said to connect with an instructor trainer/evaluator. Since I have no idea who that may be locally and I'm on here all the time anyway, I thought I'd pose my questions here.

What's it take to crossover? I was told I'd probably already qualify for TDI Intro to Tech and Nitrox Diver instructor levels due to my current PADI ratings and that I'm on the right track to get the other ratings by being diver certified.

I'm interested in average timelines, course requirements, and costs so I can see if the ROI is there.

Thanks all!

I'll just say that from what I know and what I see that the ROI for SDI/TDI is far better than with PADI. The numbers look like you simply can make more money the SDI/TDI path. And SDI/TDI seems more oriented on focusing on the financial success of their LDS' and instructors.

Hello Scubamarketing,
Please visit https://www.tdisdi.com/userportal/online_training/index.php?course=SDI&courseID=6 for specific information on the crossover program. It's a fairly simple process which includes some paperwork, an eLearning program, and a final orientation to answer any questions you have and go through some administrative work. You already know how to teach diving, we just need to show you how to do it using our philosophies and materials. The crossover to SDI costs $499.00 and includes all equivalent ratings you hold with PADI, as well any TDI ratings you may qualify for (Nitrox and Intro to Tech, for example). It also includes the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor Pro Kit, which includes all of the materials you need to get started teaching OW and Rescue, plus a hat and back pack, stickers, patches, all that fun stuff.

As far as total costs and timelines, that will depend on many different factors such as course fees, travel expenses, and how much diving you can do locally. If you have any specific questions about what to expect, please feel free to contact me at jon.kieren@tdisdi.com and I can help you get in touch with an IT that can put together a long-term plan with you.
As far as moving forward with teaching more advanced technical programs, you are on the right track by taking the diver level courses. After you are qualified as a Deco Procedures/Extended Range diver, we suggest you get out there and do a lot of diving at this level. We do not recommend the zero to hero path, and you will need to demonstrate proficiency in the skills and academics affiliated with Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures to your Instructor Trainer to be accepted into the instructor course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom