Cruel angler 'rides' a Mola Mola - needs to be named and shamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rednecks know no bounds when there's an animal to kill, maim, or dominate.

Last edited:
Ratings and comments have been disabled for the video. Gee, I wonder why?

Feel sorry for the fish. Highdesert needs a broader perspective on life and people. Name calling is racist.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Feel sorry for the fish. Highdesert needs a broader perspective on life and people. Name calling is racist.

Do please enlighten me as to where I mentioned anyone's race.

Ed: I made a general statement (which I stand by) in post #2 about a commonly used term. I have applied it neither to race, ethnicity, religion, sex, nor even to the cowboy in the above-mentioned video. It's for you to determine if and whom the shoe fits.

Last edited:
Was the fish already injured? I find it surprising that it didn't really try to swim away and it seemed fairly lifeless. Maybe that's how they are though. I'm not familiar with that type of fish...

Try having a broader perspective on people and the English language yourself. Name calling isn't always racism. Secondly, the term "redneck" isn't referring to a particular race.

You seem a little mixed up... what has name calling have to do with racism? I know the term "redneck" was used, but that implies a behavioral trait that transcends ethnic background. I in fact know of a few people that are what I would call a redneck, 2 are Negros and 1 is Hispanic, And I have my doubts about the Chinese Dude I play racquetball with at the club. I just looked at the dictionary definition for racism... Perhaps there is a language barrier to overcome.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2013 at 01:24 PM ----------

I am a fisherman who takes a few to eat, but almost always will catch and release those that are unhurt. All fish, and aquatic mammals have a "slime" coating on their skin to help protect them from bacteria and parasites. If that coating is broken (removed), it leaves them open to infection. So it behooves someone who may handle these creatures to do so carefully if you are going to release them. I don't think getting on the back of a big honking fish and riding it would be considered careful handling. Too bad he didn't get a fin spine poke in the thigh, that would have been hilarious. Then he would have to deal with an infection and a little pain. Some people need that kind of lesson so they get it, and retain it, not to mention as an object lesson for the other Rednecks on the boat..

Given how often these poor fish are left to die after having their fins eaten off by sea lions, and how often they rub against anything they can find to remove parasites, it's hard to see how the fish was any worse for wear from what is clearly redneck behavior. If they were protected and/or the riding could somehow have injured the fish, I'd see the outrage.

As it looks to me, the fish didn't seem to mind and the redneck wasn't trying to hurt it. Not my cup of tea, but not particularly horrible either. I have no idea how "frightened" it must have been, and I'm not sure anyone has a good handle on what kind of emotions/fear responses these fish are capable of having. It certainly didn't look panicked, but I'd be happy to hear evidence that it probably was experiencing some kind of severe response to being straddled and somewhat restrained.

Still, if they're legal to catch, I don't see much of a problem with a brief ride not intended to inflict pain/injury even if it would have provoked a fear response akin to being hooked. Sounds similar to catch and release to me...just less hook and more redneck. It's the redneck behavior where there's intentional infliction of pain that tends to rub me the wrong way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom