Cruise Ship hits Pier in Coxen Hole Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, it really hit! I wonder if there is damage to the boat below the water line?

The Captain knew he had a problem, he dumped his anchors approx a half minute short of the crash.

Listen at 00:40 for his follow on order after that failed:

Wow, it really hit! I wonder if there is damage to the boat below the water line?
I heard from a local that there was some damage and repairs begin tomorrow. I think there is a video on the Dilbert tours facebook page.

The Cayman News Service reported on the incident because the boat was supposed to be continuing on to Grand Cayman:

https://caymannewsservice.com/2018/04/msc-armonia-crashes-roatan/

Cruise ship crashes into dock in Roatan

Cayman News | 11/04/2018

(CNS): A cruise ship crashed into a pier Tuesday, cutting a hole in the side of the vessel, which was attempting to dock in the port of Coxan Hole in Roatan. The MSC Armonia was supposed to pull up alongside the pier but instead the vessel appears to have arrived at speed and then ploughed into the concrete pier, smashing up the dock and crushing the side of the ship. The 58,000 ton ship, which carries over 2,600 passengers, is scheduled to call on Cayman next week as part of its current two-week cruise in the region.

According to a statement released by the cruise line to US media, the crash is still under investigation.

“While manoeuvring alongside, for reasons that are currently still being duly investigated, the ship deviated from her course and grazed the end of the pier,” MSC stated. “As to the ship, the damage was minor. She has also since been cleared by Honduran Port State Control authorities to continue her journey as soon as the necessary repairs are concluded. At the present time, ship personnel and external experts are still at work to complete such repairs.”

The incident was caught on film by many onlookers and posted on numerous cruise-related websites and social media, going viral within minutes of the crash…

The Captain knew he had a problem, he dumped his anchors approx a half minute short of the crash.

Listen at 00:40 for his follow on order after that failed:

Some of the news reports are calling it a minor "fender bender" - maybe that's true for the boat - but I wouldn't call the damage to the dock "minor"!

This MSN article says that the ship was doing 11.6 knots as it approached the pier and had slowed to 8.7 knots when it hit:

MSC Responds to Armonia Dock Collision in Roatan, Honduras

Last edited:
....at least we can't blame the U. S. Navy for this crash, last year the Navy set a world record for the number of astonishingly boneheaded ship-on-ship major collisions in broad daylight under perfectly calm sea conditions!

....at least we can't blame the U. S. Navy for this crash, last year the Navy set a world record for the number of astonishingly boneheaded ship-on-ship major collisions in broad daylight under perfectly calm sea conditions!

Hey now, all the binoculars were down for maintenance that day!

I don't speak enough Spanish to understand the Captain's repeated command. I understood the videographer perfectly.

(Look at the size of that thing!!)

Back
Top Bottom