Cruise ships from Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great, that is just what Cozumel really needs, the opportunity to have everything divers value so much, be destroyed a few years sooner.
Can't the Cruise ships either stay in New York Harbour or travel only between London and New York, everywhere else they go they destroy.

Michael

Great, that is just what Cozumel really needs, the opportunity to have everything divers value so much, be destroyed a few years sooner.
Can't the Cruise ships either stay in New York Harbour or travel only between London and New York, everywhere else they go they destroy.

Michael
From what I read, it's pretty easy for the cruise companies to switch Caribbean ports, even acutely. I'm sure that happened after the recent hurricanes affected several of the usual destinations. Of course, the port has to be receptive to the offer and be able to handle the additional volume. I have been afraid of the cruise industry and its effect on Cozmel for a long time.

From what I read, it's pretty easy for the cruise companies to switch Caribbean ports, even acutely. I'm sure that happened after the recent hurricanes affected several of the usual destinations. Of course, the port has to be receptive to the offer and be able to handle the additional volume. I have been afraid of the cruise industry and its effect on Cozmel for a long time.
You would deny the overfed, newlywed, and almost dead a place to walk around the port, spend 2 bucks on a beer and 5 bucks on an authentic T-shirt, cross against the lights and walk signals, and leave before 4 PM for another fine all you can eat meal the opportunity to get another stamp in their passport?

The only reason I don’t really get excited is because they get here at 9 and leave at 4, and I’m at work then, so I don’t have to see their pasty white pink faced cherubic little faces.

Think of all the liquor retailers and distributors that would suffer greatly if there weren’t floating palaces dumping hordes of alcoholics-in-training in Cozumel 6 days a week. Besides, who else but a cruise ship passenger is going to be stupid enough to buy expensive jewelry from Diamonds International and all the other high end pretty rock shops that line Melgar?

Haven't been to Cozumel for a few years but we always found that if we went 2 or 3 blocks away from the water, the cruise ship crowd disappeared.

Haven't been to Cozumel for a few years but we always found that if we went 2 or 3 blocks away from the water, the cruise ship crowd disappeared.
They can’t really walk that far, and their Wilfred Brimley mobility scooter specials run out of battery that far away.

That hasn't changed.

On our last trip (April), we walked up 12th to 55th or 60th, then down 6th or 4th. We saw one gringo on 12th between 10th and 15th, and that was it until we got down to 30th.

Discovered an absolutely delightful, delicious and inexpensive loncheria on 12th between 50th and 55th.

They also disappear north of the Cinco Soles. The serene near north is a great place to be.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

......we always found that if we went 2 or 3 blocks away from the water, the cruise ship crowd disappeared.

Yep, and that's cuz the port lecturers practically tell them they'll get drugged, kidnapped and their organs harvested if they venture more than a block inland, LOL!!
I had numerous friends that had been cruise ship employees, and one that was a port lecturer (who later owned The Calling Station), so I've heard most of the sleazy moves the cruise companies pull. They basically extort HUGE amount of money from the waterfront businesses, to get on the "approved" list, which the gullible cruise shippers take as gospel. Otherwise the cruise ships tell the tourists those non-listed businesses sell inferior, over-priced goods, fake silver, etc.
I've actually seen tourists with the list in their hands, saying, "no honey, we don't want to go in there, it isn't on the list".

They can’t really walk that far, and their Wilfred Brimley mobility scooter specials run out of battery that far away.
Cracked me up !!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom