Crystal River Operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at the Plantation Inn Golf Resort & Spa and used their dive shop last year. Can highly recommend them. Small boat, great captain, left early so we got to the first stop (King's Spring?) before the cattle boats. Second stop (three sisters) was a complete mayhem. Sad too see no control over how many boats were allowed to dock. Several people harassing manatees left and right (not from our boat). Our Captain who got in the water with us made calls to the sherrif(?) and alerted the volunteer guys in kayaks.

The manatee business on crystal river is cleary out of control. Three sisters should be shut down --let people watch them from the shore instead.

The manatee business on crystal river is cleary out of control. Three sisters should be shut down --let people watch them from the shore instead.

I think the shore surrounding three sisters is privately owned. The State or other local government has been trying to buy it to protect it, but I don't think they have made any progress. I think - someone local could probably give more accurate info.

Is there a problem at all with gators on the river drift dive - I'm not sure about it!

I have used American Pro Dive on two occasions and the only issue we had was the crowds on Saturdays. Not really too bad on the boat we were on but in the area. I had no complaint with owner/operators/staff at all. I did not observe anything I would consider harassment of the Manatees. There were the volunteers in kayaks patrolling and the Sanctuary/Preserve areas provide them with areas where they can avoid tourist crowds when they please.

I actually attended the PADI Manatee Specialty presentation and for the $35 price, was overall was pleasantly surprised that it was much more informative than I expected. (about 1 hour PowerPoint presentation, lecture and hands on display of bones of manatees. These are licensed by State of Florida as it is illegal to possess these articles.

Yes, it is a pretty much of a stretch as far as Specialty Courses go and at least $16 goes towards the PIC Card. It is a marketing gimmick allowing operator to make a little more $ of the tourists!

Never had any issues with gators BUT it only takes ONE! lol

Last edited:
What is the difference going to Crystal River and going to Homosassa? I just posted on the Dixie Divers forum for info going down to snorkel with the Manatees - did not realize there are different places to choose from.

TO Mimac :

the difference is : do you want to snorkel together with 50 other people (=Crystal River) or do you prefer it more privately (=Homosassa). In winter Crystal river can get up to 300 manatees but also a lot of tourists, while Homosassa only gets 100 manatees but also less people

Pretty much describes it. Homosassa is less crowded that Crystal River can be. The area around 3 Sisters Springs can be terribly crowded , especially on Saturdays. If you cannot get there before 7:30, expect to see a lot of mayhem ! BEST TIME TO GO= early weekday mornings !! If you want to SCUBA, Kings Spring is really the only site. You may see a manatee there, but don't expect it, & leave them alone , if you do. You are to " snorkel " with manatees.
Rainbow River is a good & easy drift dive. I do suggest going with a dive shop whose boat & captain stays with you, rather than just being dropped off & being on your own. Gators,,, yes it is water,,,, && it is Florida,,, but I have never seen one in that area in the Winter months. I have taken people to swim with Manatees & drift down the Rainbow for years , but am retired, AGAIN.

Last edited:
I took a trip with APDC 2 years ago to the manatees, and I can say that they were nothing but professional and informative. The captain of our boat, on the way out to the manatees gave us a lot of information about the manatees, and the migrations and history of them. we got out there, and he was very helpful in pointing out what we needed to do and what to stay away from, what was legal and illegal. My only experience with APDC was a very good one. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. But I can't speak for any experiences but my own.

My husband and I are fairly new divers (only dove in Caribbean, Panama City, Florida and Gulf Shores, Alabama) and are looking for a friendly operator to dive with the manatees in Crystal River, Florida. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Libby

Nature Coast Manatee Tours is a good operation to go out with and swim with the manatees

I have used American Pro Dive on two occasions and the only issue we had was the crowds on Saturdays. Not really too bad on the boat we were on but in the area. I had no complaint with owner/operators/staff at all. I did not observe anything I would consider harassment of the Manatees. There were the volunteers in kayaks patrolling and the Sanctuary/Preserve areas provide them with areas where they can avoid tourist crowds when they please.

I actually attended the PADI Manatee Specialty presentation and for the $35 price, was overall was pleasantly surprised that it was much more informative than I expected. (about 1 hour PowerPoint presentation, lecture and hands on display of bones of manatees. These are licensed by State of Florida as it is illegal to possess these articles.

Yes, it is a pretty much of a stretch as far as Specialty Courses go and at least $16 goes towards the PIC Card. It is a marketing gimmick allowing operator to make a little more $ of the tourists!

Never had any issues with gators BUT it only takes ONE! lol

Nature Coast Manatee Tours takes groups of 6 people at a time to beat the crowds there really great!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom