Cuan Law cancellation - be forewarned when you book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me get this straight, they had 16 divers booked towards their 20 passenger full capacity and they canceled? That doesn't sound right.

Not exactly. They were four short of their stated minimum, which may have been 16. It may have been less than that, but it was 4 short of their minimum.

Hello everyone,*
We at Cuan Law are very sorry for any misunderstandings regarding our booking policy for headboat trips - another name for trips booked by individual guests.*
We state at the time that the reservation is booked is that we cannot confirm the departure until we get to 8 guests. We further mentioned to Susan and Ted in an email Feb 19th, 2008 that dates with less than 8 guests are also vulnerable to being taken over by wholeboat groups, and will make sure to state that to all future guests looking at starting a headboat date. We also stress that guests need to have travel insurance coverage as well.
We have been in regular email contact with Susan & Ted about this particular trip, and until July 28th we were still confident that the departure would sell.
When they emailed us September 2nd, they were pretty worried about us having to cancel and once the awful economic news hit mid September we felt is was best to let them know as soon as possible that judging from past experience we were very doubtful that any new guests would book. This took into account previous DEMA show bookings, especially in election year. We did not want to cancel, but felt there was no other fair choice to the 2 couples who were already committed. Giving as much notice as possible certainly seemed the best way to go.
The wording on the website calendar regarding being available for wholeboat groups is our standard practice in these circumstances. We do this so that individuals understand that the date is not available to them. Having said that since we are running a business, if there should be a group that wants the date we would not be able to turn them away. The possibility that this would occur is about the opposite of a sure thing, but we do have to acknowledge the distant chance of a booking.
We don't have any preferential arrangements with dive shops, dive clubs travel agents or any other groups.
As it stands right now our business is already being impacted by the downturn in the economy and we expect that trend to get worse before it gets better. We still only have 6 guests booked on the Thanksgiving week, and although as stated above the cut-off number is 8 we will not cancel that week. We just cannot afford to have 2 loss making trips within 3 weeks of each other and having had zero interest for trips in the Fall since July we cut the one with the fewest guests. Unfortunately, Susan & Ted were unable to make the switch in dates as were the only other couple booked in December.
We do our best to make sure that guests understand the whole process and sell our lovely trips in good faith that folks will be able to join us, have a great time and come back with their friends.
In the event of cancellation by us we make every effort to not only refund in full any payments to us, but also to provide as much paperwork as needed to help with travel insurance claims and so on.
We are very sorry that Ted & Susan feel let down by us, but we're not sure what else we could have done in these unique financial times.
We are open to suggestions about wording and so on and certainly want to work with the dive community through these difficult days.
Everyone at Cuan Law/Trimarine Boat Company

After reading everything, I really wish we could sign up for this trip, but we already have plans with our LDS. Our week on this boat was one of the best times we have ever had! Because we felt so positive about the trip, we've booked several liveaboards. We were so disappointed that they no longer have a boat in the Galapagos Islands! We wanted to book with them!

Again, I'm sorry for any problems that occurred, we all have to read the fine print (I let my husband do that!) and understand that the economy in the US is very, very scary right now. Higher gas and food prices are something we all face personally and professionally.

If I understand correctly it wasn't that they had 16 it was that they needed 16 more to fill the boat and would have gone with 4 more people for a total of 8 on the boat? It really seems reasonable from a business point of view, though I certainly can understand the frustration of loosing a vacation.

Not exactly. They were four short of their stated minimum, which may have been 16. It may have been less than that, but it was 4 short of their minimum.

Well, I understand your frustration but their response seems reasonable. My wife and I sailed with them under similar circumstances. We booked way ahead of time and noticed the boat was not filling up and started to get worried. They explained the policy in detail but told us they were hopeful they'd get the 8 person minimum and would work hard to do so. With about 60 days to spare they did get the 8 person minimum and we were able to go on the trip. We had an excellent time and highly recommend them.

Cuan Law did indeed, as they point out, work within the strict letter of the law of their policy.
It would have been nice, however, after being told that they would make efforts to fill the boat, at least be given the chance to take the further risk of not having the boat filled (i.e. the risk we bargained for when we booked). We were not done a favor by being cancelled out early. We were told that they were going to make efforts to fill the boat through October, and were well prepared for the eventuality that they would not and that we would have to make last minute alternate plans. The lack of effort is the source of the dissappointment. It seems apparent that they either chose to (1) not spend funds on efforts to fill the boat and/or (2) just cancel with the idea that the could perhaps still salvage income for that week by passively sitting back and waiting for a whole boat booking.

As a pure short term economic choice it makes sense. Pure short term economic choices semetimes leave a vendor with very dissatisfied customers.

I still think that they are lame! The response provided is a polite way to rationalize their greed. Perhaps they should change their motto to "We step on the little guy to make a boat load of money" or more to the point, "Book with us so we can buy time to book more people." The best way to show your appreciation to them is to book a liveaboard with another company who has better management. They do not deserve your money.

I still think that they are lame! The response provided is a polite way to rationalize their greed. Perhaps they should change their motto to "We step on the little guy to make a boat load of money" or more to the point, "Book with us so we can buy time to book more people." The best way to show your appreciation to them is to book a liveaboard with another company who has better management. They do not deserve your money.

All I can say is that not only do I disagree with what you wrote, but that I disagree with the whole tone of your post.

well.... you can look at this two ways...

some liveaboards will wait till the week of or the week before departure to cancel a trip if they don't have enough people. sometimes you've already started your airline travel. So at least in this case they at least canceled it far enough to allow the OP time to adjust his travel plans. Yeah though he's already paid for his airline tickets, so he's stuck with them. So I definately understand his frustration. I've had to fly home before and "eat" ariline tickets for when a liveboard was canceled (due to weather). so it sucks.

But also some other liveaboards go a step above just cancelling. They go out of their way to get the customer re-booked on a new trip and often pay any airline change fees. They go the extra effort to make sure the customer is satisfied and to "keep the customer". I didn't see Cuan Law go to this effort here. Maybe they acted withing their policies, but they didn't go to the extra effort for the customer. So in this case they no longer have a customer. I doubt the original poster is willing to spend money with them again. So not only is the customer screwed, Cuan Law did the same to themselves in loosing paying customers. In this case I don't see how either side benefits.

This really is a bit of a problem for both parties, but I totally understand the position of the guests here. Booking a trip w/considerable uncertainty would have deterred me from the very beginning.

It's moments like this that you have to appreciate the Nekton and other LOB's who go out when the numbers are well below their full operating capacity.

I also agree that waiting until after DEMA might have been somewhat better, since that was implied or discussed.

Who knows someone may decide to dive BVI on the Cuan Law in October.

The additional hassle of insurance claims, airfares change fees, add on costs for a new destination, etc. just adds fuel to the fire. I can understand the frustration.

The response from Cuan Law was polite and cordial but I'd forget about any additional support. Obvously, it's all about the money . Good will and customer care appears to be subject to the perception of the market.

Here's an option you can consider. It's less luxurious but you'll have a great time. The Juliet is going to the BVI in Jan 09 I'd call them up and see if I can book a week with them. (If you really want to dive BVI)

Try not to allow this thing to ruin your future vacation/dive trip. Like some others who responded to this post, I seriously thought about booking a trip w/my dive club in 2009 w/Cuan Law.

Although we have numbers, after reading about your experience, I think we will look elsewhere.

Dive safe and happy diving................

Back
Top Bottom