CUBA - Anyone have any contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking to do some promotional above and below water filming projects in Cuba in 2017

Can anyone direct me to a good operation?

If possible have them contact me by email (see below)

Curt Bowen
Publisher Advanced Diver Magazine

curtbowenadm@gmail.com

Curt,
I went last year for a medical conference with the intention of getting some diving in as well. This was when Cuba was really just open to US travelers. I was frustrated with how difficult it was to communicate with the shops and ended up not doing any diving because nothing could be arranged.

Next time (and I definitely want a next time) ill arrange things further in advance.

Some of the best (reported to me) diving sites:
Maria la gorda
Archipelago de los Canarreos
Jardines de la Reina
Playa Santa Lucia

The maria la gorda hotel and diving centre is a popular place for divers, literally right on the beach. In La Bajada. (48) 778 131, or 778 077
Boat dives to black coral valley and salon de maria.

Isla de la juventud
Hotel colony
(46) 398 181
**Super diving hotel**
The centro internacional de buceo is on the same site atplaya roja.
Here you can go to la pared de Coral Negro, el Reino del sahara, el Mirador, el Arco de los Sabalos.

shipwrecks around Cayo Los Indios.

Avalon
Jardines de la reina, Jucaro
(7) 204 7422

Centro de buceo maria la gorda
La bajada, pinar del rio
(48) 778 131

El colony
Carretera de siguanea, km 41, isla de juventud
(46) 398 181

Green moray
Cayo guillermo
(33) 301 627

Marlin nautica
Marlin jardines del rey, cayo coco
(33) 201 221
Www.nauticamarlin.com

Sharks friends
Hotel brisa santa lucia, olaya santa lucia, camaguey
(32) 365 182

You will find you have a hard time doing too much by email. Facebook is a better option. It is a communist country, and things that you and I take for granted will get them thrown in jail. Literally, the official government hydrographer was arrested and jailed for 2 years because he sent too many e-mails back and forth to C-Map when they were developing their chart packs for Cuba. There was no evidence of wrongdoing, but someone somewhere got the redass because this guy was doing his job. Problem is, he was doing it with Americans.

My best bet is to make arrangements with a travel agent in Venezuela or Panama. I have some names if you are interested. I know this flies in the face of what you are trying to do, remember, I tried to go it alone with a million dollar boat and dive business. Let's just say that I sold based on what happened in Cuba and would be more than happy to share that over beers with you in person. I will be at DEMA.

Doing business there is nothing like doing business anywhere else. They desperately want our money, but they don't know how to ask for it, as any business dealing with us may get them thrown in the clink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom