Cuda cleaning in RawShooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's some work I did with RawShooter essentials and PhotoShop 7. It cut the cyan pretty good. The most useful tool was the white balance eyedropper. I was able to pick the white sand and colors seemed to pop back to what I remembered seeing with my eyes.

cuda1o.jpg

cuda11.jpg

cuda2o.jpg

cuda21.jpg

In PS7 did you use a mask or change the original? What was your operation order with each tool? I stink at PS7, and I'm using the same set-up...RSE for the conversion and PS7 for size adjustments and touch up.

Know any good PS7 resources on line? The ones I've found assume you already know what you're doing and only do processes for a particular fix. I need the basics from start to finish of an operation. So far, all I'm really good at is size adjustment, cropping and adding a text overlay. I do the basic touch-up tools, but only on really big boo-boos and I have trouble controlling the size of the repair and where the edges are.

I just used the unsharp mask filter in PS7. The color correction came by fixing the white balance of the RAW picture in RawShooter. It's a great FREE program for converting pictures if you don't have PSCS.

I've learned what I know from here and playing with pictures. I always play with a copy not the original so I don't mess things up :D.

I really like raw shooter. I even bought a new computer so I could download it because my old p.o.s. had 256k ram on a 950mhz system. The Oly program took about 15 minutes to process not one picture, but one adjustment on one picture. I'm not sure I like the 2006 version of RSE as much as the original, as they took away the indoor/outdoor settings and just give you normal, medium, strong.
What's cool about the PS7 is I generally don't even have to save before working on a picture. As long as you "save as" with a different file name or type, it keeps the original and spits out a nice new pic. I'd really like to learn how to use the color adjustments on it and fine adjust for things like the clone tool, which is great for getting rid of backscatter, but I can't get the range small enough to keep from overlapping an area of unlike color. Maybe I'll take a class at the local JC.

Sorry to double post. Right after I clicked, I went back to the index and discovered the Photoshop sticky in tips and techniques. There are a ton of resources there for all sorts of operations.

Larry: Be careful. Photoshop can become addictive.

Yoda: Great demonstration of how a Raw converter can help clean up the color balance in UW photos quite quickly. I find the Adobe Camera Raw feature takes you only so far, and I end up importing a number of my UW images into Photoshop for the heavier lifting. As you point out, some images will give good results right in the raw converter and you have given other PS7 users a tip to a great resource. Bravo.

---Bob

You're right Bob! I was almost late for work this morning playing with just one more of the weekend shots in PS7. With my newly added strobe, I've been struggling with lighting. Too much, too little, too harsh, etc. After doing all I could in Rawshooter Essentials with Brightness, darkness, shadow levels, highlight levels, fill light etc. I moved a couple of shots I would normally throw out to PS7 to play with. I was able to improve them with color balance, levels, etc. but they were still sharp and jagged due to just too much contrast from the strong flash. I went to filters to try the unsharp mask and ran into 3D transform. It worked near miracles. I guess what it does is artificially model the structure of the shot so it's like having balanced shadowing added to the shot. Every thing has depth like it should instead of the flat moonscape of an overexposed shot. Check it out! I'm trying to post some of them, but the upload has gone crazy. I lose the server right in the middle and it cuts out half the pictures. I'll have to try it later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom