Curacao December 21-January 5 - Looking for dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachita

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be returning to Curacao for the Xmas holidays.:D I'm traveling alone and looking for buddies to dive with.

I'm staying with family in Willemstad and will have a rental car. Have AOW, Nitrox & rescue diver certifications.

Hi-

I'll be in Curacao on the 22nd (off a cruise ship). I was thinking of doing some shore dives via 'the dive bus'. I am a freshly minted diver and this would be my first open water dive (outside of the quarry). I'm not sure if this would be a deterrent for you, but let me know!

Matt

Hi-
I'll be in Curacao on the 22nd (off a cruise ship). I was thinking of doing some shore dives via 'the dive bus'. I am a freshly minted diver and this would be my first open water dive (outside of the quarry). I'm not sure if this would be a deterrent for you, but let me know!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you for responding to my request for a buddy!

Spending your shore leave on Curacao diving is a great idea - you will love diving on a Caribbean reef and the diving in Curacao is fabulous! I'm thinking though that diving with a dive shop like the Dive Bus might be the best way for you to go, as you probably need gear and tanks. As well, to be honest, I'm uneasy diving with someone who is a new diver. I'm licensed as a rescue diver but I don't have experience assuming responsibility for new divers and I'm not a dive master or an instructor.

But I can certainly give you some pointers to help you make the most of your diving experience on Curacao as I grew up there and visit every year for Xmas. You were considering the Dive Bus. I have taken several diving courses with them, gone on many dive trips with them as well, and I heartily recommend them. They are very professional and safety conscious. Their business/dive model is unique, a lot of fun, and perfectly suited to the beach diving in Curacao. Do check with them for schedule however. When I went out with them in 2007 and 2008, their outings started around 8 am and lasted until around 4 PM and I don't know whether this will work with your ship schedule. Their business has grown and they may have shorter/half day outings now.

If the Dive Bus schedule doesn't work for you, then check the Marriott dive op as it not too far from where your ship will dock. They do shore dives off of their beach and you may be able to book a dive master/guide to take you out at your convenience. If they don't have someone available to dive with you, then contact Trunk Divers at caribbeandiving@hotmail.com They are a great outfit with expert Dutch dive guides who will go anywhere on the island with you at a time that is convenient for you. They have cars, so you could make arrangements to be picked up at your ship. Last Xmas, whenever I wanted to dive and had no one to go with I would call them and go out for the whole day - dive in the morning, go for lunch, relax on the beach and then dive again in the afternoon. I will probably be doing that a couple of times this year...

I hope you have a great trip. Let me know if you want more info on Curacao.

Regards,
Johanna

I'll be returning to Curacao for the Xmas holidays.:D I'm traveling alone and looking for buddies to dive with.

I'm staying with family in Willemstad and will have a rental car. Have AOW, Nitrox & rescue diver certifications.

I will be there with my wife she dosent dive 12/24-26 I will be boat diving form the sea aqurium. Im looking for some one to do 2 2tank shore dives on the 27th & 28th . My friend and i dove it last year its mint!

Hi there,

I will indeed be back again this year, arriving December 20 to January 7. I'm always looking for buddies and focus mainly on doing shore dives. I can do the 27th, but on Friday the 28th, I am diving the North Shore with Niels Jorissen, which is a boat dive. I missed doing it last year, so I definitely want to do it this year and he only does it once a week.

Can you tell me a little more about your diving preferences and style? Shore diving in Curacao is very laid back - I usually do one beach in the morning, break for lunch, preferably at a local spot, and then do the opposite side of the beach we're at or hit another beach for the afternoon dive. There are many great beaches where you can hang out the whole day, so if your wife likes hanging out at the beach it can also be a fun day for her.

Where did you dive last year?
I will be there with my wife she dosent dive 12/24-26 I will be boat diving form the sea aqurium. Im looking for some one to do 2 2tank shore dives on the 27th & 28th . My friend and i dove it last year its mint!

Hi there,

I will indeed be back again this year, arriving December 20 to January 7. I'm always looking for buddies and focus mainly on doing shore dives. I can do the 27th, but on Friday the 28th, I am diving the North Shore with Niels Jorissen, which is a boat dive. I missed doing it last year, so I definitely want to do it this year and he only does it once a week.

Can you tell me a little more about your diving preferences and style? Shore diving in Curacao is very laid back - I usually do one beach in the morning, break for lunch, preferably at a local spot, and then do the opposite side of the beach we're at or hit another beach for the afternoon dive. There are many great beaches where you can hang out the whole day, so if your wife likes hanging out at the beach it can also be a fun day for her.

Where did you dive last year?
Mambo beach reef,Superior,car pile ,blue cave, mushroom forest, klein curacao, my private reef my buddy called richies reef (south of sea aquarum)
I like dives that aren’t a lot of work I’m flexible but usually do 2 tank dives in the morning and spend the rest of the day with the wife. I have done several shore dives between Bonaire and Curacao .My buddy and I did 4 2 tank dives on the reef and can’t wait to go back its hidden jem. Not accessible by the road the only way is to enter is the channel or swim around the aquarium or boat. Access to the reef south of the aquarium via the channel in front Ocean encounters, it is pristine in 20 to 50 feet we headed south and returned. Some of the most beautiful elk horn coral I have ever seen Entering is a little work because of the waves you just have to time it between waves. Love fact its only $12.50 a tank 25 dollars a day sweet.

Rich

---------- Post Merged on November 16th, 2012 at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was on November 15th, 2012 at 09:13 AM ----------

Mambo beach reef,Superior,car pile ,blue cave, mushroom forest, klein curacao, my private reef my buddy called richies reef (south of sea aquarum)
I like dives that aren’t a lot of work I’m flexible but usually do 2 tank dives in the morning and spend the rest of the day with the wife. I have done several shore dives between Bonaire and Curacao .My buddy and I did 4 2 tank dives on the reef and can’t wait to go back its hidden jem. Not accessible by the road the only way is to enter is the channel or swim around the aquarium or boat. Access to the reef south of the aquarium via the channel in front Ocean encounters, it is pristine in 20 to 50 feet we headed south and returned. Some of the most beautiful elk horn coral I have ever seen Entering is a little work because of the waves you just have to time it between waves. Love fact its only $12.50 a tank 25 dollars a day sweet.

Rich
If you would like to do 2 morning dives that would be great on the 27 even 1 would be better than none

HI Rich,

Well, you've certainly done many of the great spots in Curacao. I'll send you my local contact info as we get closer to the trip. I'll probably do one tank with you in the morning and then do another dive in the afternoon with one of my local buddies. Where are you staying and where did you want to dive?

Cheers,
Johanna

HI Rich,

Well, you've certainly done many of the great spots in Curacao. I'll send you my local contact info as we get closer to the trip. I'll probably do one tank with you in the morning and then do another dive in the afternoon with one of my local buddies. Where are you staying and where did you want to dive?

Cheers,
Johanna

Cool, one tank it is, im staying at Dolphin suites on the north side of the taxi circle at the sea aquarium.The 27th is still good for me.My buddy called it richies reef ha ha. It a reef that is on the east side of the sea aqarium you can access via the channel in front Ocean encounters its one of my favorites very few ever dive this site
cheers
Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom