Curaçao Lodging and Car Rental Recommendations including Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fsudiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading through all the great information on this forum about people's recommendations regarding the ABC islands, and everything has been very helpful. Thank you.

I'm hoping you might have more advice for a first-timer visiting Bonaire and Curaçao. I am looking for a 2-bedroom place if possible (or a suite), though if the price is decent, 2 rooms would be okay for my dive buddy and me. My biggest requirements are non-smoking (I am terribly allergic to cigarette smoke) and quiet (I don't want to be around party people as I want to sleep and dive). The place doesn't need to have a swimming pool since we'll be diving a lot. It would be great if diving is right there on the property (view of the ocean but not too far from town), and if there is a locker for gear with a dive shop nearby or on property. Quiet and spacious and clean are the keys here, as well as diver friendly.

I think I've narrowed down lodging options to Blue Bay or Lodge Kura Hulanda & Beach Club, though I am open to other people's ideas. I've researched this thing so much, and it is time to make a decision since the trip is in just a couple of weeks. Blue Bay is new, and I haven't seen much written about it. Your thoughts?

Also, I'm seeing so many mixed reviews about car rentals. I need to rent in Bonaire and Curaçao. Why are people renting pickup trucks so much? It doesn't seem that the terrain requires a pickup, and with just 2 divers, it seems that a car with a decent trunk would provide more safe locking of gear, etc. Any experiences to share?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks,
Gabrielle

Hi Gabrielle,

We're happy to help with any questions!

My wife and I are running a prop managment business on the best resort on Curacao so you can check out seasidecuracao . com for a look at our options.

2 bedroom no smoking is available and comes with a great view, very secure resort and on premisis dive operation.

Let me know what else we can help out with.

Thanks,

Don and Chiara

You should be able to get a local rate on a car for under 40 USD a day, hotels mostly start at 50.

You are right about car diving but pick-ups let you get off the beaten path more easily.

Blue Bay is nice as is KH lodge. We like to think our services and prices compete with the best on the island. Our homes are all seaview and on the a fantastic house reef, 30 minutes to Westpunt and 25 minutes to town, a great central location!

Lodge KH is quiet. In fact at night it's really quiet. And very pleasant. Suites are very nice as expected. Westpunt is a really small town also. And it's on one of the best dive sites, Playa Kalki. From the Ocean Encounters West diveop there they go to Watamula which is supposed to be the best boat dive on Curacao. OEWest is a nice facility, on-site lockers, shower and a dive dock that leads right out to the reef. Downside is that you're 45mins. from town for anything except what LKH provides or the few dining options in Westpunt.

We rented an SUV. It had a luggage area cover so we could hide things at divesites - there is some theft on Curacao - our apt. mgr. told us not to leave anything in plain sight at the more remote dive sites (the Gnips, Playa Jeremi, etc.) At a lot of the western dive sites there is an on-site operator so that's less of a concern. With LKH as a base you're probably 15-20 mins. from a lot of good sites: Playa Jeremi, Playa Lagun, Nos Kas (Habitat's house reef) Porto Mari and Varsenbaai. (slightly farther)

I think the trucks are mostly standard transmissions also. We rented one of them as well to haul tanks. (there were 7 of us) From Hertz at the airport. I've read somewhere that LKH has car rentals available, they likely would. But it's an easy drive out. (at the first rotary go right to Westpunt, LKH is on your right - eventually...lol)

The equivalent to LKH on Bonaire would be Harbour Village. I've not stayed there but it's probably the most upscale place on Bonaire currently.

I often recommend BelMar condos in Belnem, it's quiet at night. It is sort of a compressed property so if there's kids in the pool that can be annoying during the day as they're 50' from your patio. It's a 5 min drive to downtown Kralendijk but you will have to drive as there's a lagoon and the airport in between. I never heard a plane all week and I would've, I slept with the windows open. Every unit faces west so you get spectacular sunsets from the living room or patio. Dive dock is 50' from your condo - the ground floor units have dive closets at the back - the upstairs have lockers at the Buddy dive shop at the south end of the property. When we were there, they were very clean and well-maintained. They also have a street-side tank pickup and public storage area that you can access 24/7 with your condo key. Nice setup for both diving there and off-site. And a 5 min. drive to all the good southern dive sites like the Hooker and Angel City, Invisibles etc. The only downside is no food in the immediate area.

The dive resorts north of town (Buddy's, Capt' Don's) can be a little busier/louder at night as both have open bars/restaurants onsite. And more units. Den Laman might be an option in that area, it's a smaller property. Fairly new and looked pretty upscale. Right on the water. The studos there don't have a view though as I've read they face the parking lot. It's on Bari Reef, one of the better dives we did all week. There's literally several hundred fish species on that reef, Bonaire Dive & Adventure on site has a naturalist and you can do REEF fish counts there.

Last edited:
Hi fsudiver,

If you want a quiet place on Curacao with a focus on scuba diving, I recommend check out our homepage ..:: All West Apartments & Diving, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles ::... We are top rated on trip advisor for specialty lodging on Curacao (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147277-d266609-Reviews-All_West_Apartments-Curacao.html), and we count many ScubaBoard members amongst our guests and friends. All West Apartments are located in Westpoint, with some of the best diving on the island right around our place. Apartment guests have 24/7 access to our fully eqipped dive locker (full air tanks all around the clock; rinse tanks; dry storage for your gear; emergency equipment). You can combine your shore diving (we will be happy to assist you choosing the best places) with boat diving on the best spots not accessible from shore, like Watamula, Rediho City, Elvin's Plane Wreck, and Mushroom Forest. We can offer you package deals including apartment, diving and car rental. For any more details just send me a pm, and I will be glad to help!

Greetings from Curacao

Andreas

Hi fsudiver,

If you want a quiet place on Curacao with a focus on scuba diving, I recommend check out our homepage ..:: All West Apartments & Diving, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles ::... We are top rated on trip advisor for specialty lodging on Curacao (All West Apartments (Curacao) - Condominium Reviews - TripAdvisor), and we count many ScubaBoard members amongst our guests and friends. All West Apartments are located in Westpoint, with some of the best diving on the island right around our place. Apartment guests have 24/7 access to our fully eqipped dive locker (full air tanks all around the clock; rinse tanks; dry storage for your gear; emergency equipment). You can combine your shore diving (we will be happy to assist you choosing the best places) with boat diving on the best spots not accessible from shore, like Watamula, Rediho City, Elvin's Plane Wreck, and Mushroom Forest. We can offer you package deals including apartment, diving and car rental. For any more details just send me a pm, and I will be glad to help!

Greetings from Curacao

Andreas

We have been looking at your offerings and have two questions.
1) How do we get to/from the airport?
2) How do we get to/from the apartment and OEW dock?

We have been looking at your offerings and have two questions.
1) How do we get to/from the airport?
2) How do we get to/from the apartment and OEW dock?

Hi Reef Tank,

That is very easy:

1) If you rent a car from us, we deliver it at the airport, and guide you out to Westpunt. Depending on what time you arrive to Curacao, we'll stop by a supermarket on the way so you can get some groceries. If you don't want to rent a car, we can transfer you to All West.

2) From All West Apartments to the OEW dive shop /dock you drive 3 minutes. If you don't rent a car but want to come boat diving, we can pick you up at All West, and bring you back after the dives.

I highly recommend renting a car, because it gives you mobility for shore diving different places, getting groceries, and exploring the island :)

Greetings from Curacao
Andreas

Do you have 2-bedroom apartments available? I am planning to rent a car but am hearing mixed messages about where and what to rent. I will plan to contact you and the other locations who posted here by tomorrow. Thanks much!

Hi FSU!

I can address some of your items regarding Bonaire. You may want to look at a couple of smaller places, that are up scale as well on Bonaire. Try Coral Paradise Resort, Coral Paradise Bonaire Resort - Top Rated Scuba Diving Resort or may be Sand Dollar www.divesanddollar.com, (not really "up scale" but lovely property, 2 bedroom, 2 story type condos. Also, you may want to look at some private rental townhouses at Lighthouse Beach Resort (quite a few are on www.vrbo.com). One other one is Vince's condo in Belmar (I think his name on SB is VinBu). Sorry Vince, don't have a web address for you...

As far as vehicle. Pickups are standard for Bonaire when diving. You will need them to drive right up to the Sea to park and dive. I would not recommend a standard car. If you want an inclosed vehicle, I have to recommend Island Car Rental. www.islandrentalsbonaire.com They have a GREAT SUV, reasonably prices called a Landwind, which is roomy inside and has a tank rack in the back storage area.

Hope this helps!

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom