Curaçao, the windward side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone dove the windward side of Curaçao? Please tell us about it, how did you arrange for the diving, how different it is from the other side and what you saw that is different.

I know that you can't dived it from shore but I have heard that some dive operations go there when the sea and wind are cooperating. I don't know much more than that.

Not exactly sure what you mean by windward side. If you mean north coast, it is most often very rough. There are a few dive sites on the north you can access by shore (Playa Canoa and The Tunnel of Doom). Few boats go north for diving. Not much reef and it’s deep.

If you mean Eastpoint, there are at least 3 operators that go. It’s one of the healthiest reefs in the Caribbean and part of the marine park! No shore diving as all the land is privately owned.

conditions can be rough sometimes so be prepared for the boat rocking but Eastpoint is well worth the trip! Researchers call it “prehistoric” due to the lack of degradation seen in much of the Caribbean now.

"No shore diving as all the island is privately owned." ???
Been there twice to the west side and all the diving we did was shore diving.

"No shore diving as all the island is privately owned." ???
Been there twice to the west side and all the diving we did was shore diving.

I think you misread. He said all the land at Eastpoint is privately owned, not all the island.

Not exactly sure what you mean by windward side. If you mean north coast, it is most often very rough. There are a few dive sites on the north you can access by shore (Playa Canoa and The Tunnel of Doom). Few boats go north for diving. Not much reef and it’s deep.

I don't know what they call it there as it the Island isn't exactly North to South or East to west. I mean the opposite side of the side where everyone dives.

The majority of diving is done by shore from Westpoint (NW end of the island) to Caracasbaai (South coast). Past Caracasbaai (moving SE) is the Eastpoint marine park most of which is only accessible by boat so relatively few divers go there.

Big time sailers speak heavenly of the near constant and healthy winds for sailing around Curacao. It will be rough...

upload_2021-3-16_7-2-21.png

Nothing to the east to knock it down.....

Has anyone dove the windward side of Curaçao? Please tell us about it, how did you arrange for the diving, how different it is from the other side and what you saw that is different.

I know that you can't dived it from shore but I have heard that some dive operations go there when the sea and wind are cooperating. I don't know much more than that.
As noted in other posts, the East end of the island is privately owned and the owner is engaged in a long term pissing match with the government of Curacao. Net-Net, there is no shore diving.

There are some boats (I've been very happy with divechartercuracao.com) that will go there. I've done one trip to the weather side of the island looking for a cave that usually holds some sharks (we didn't find it despite lots of swimming against the current). Overall there is not much to see. Too much wave action for interesting coral or sponges, FWIW there were large fields of fire coral.

Once you get around the 'corner' back to the leeward (protected) side, the reef is absolutely spectacular. On the last trip, we went past very large (20 - 25' tall) brain corals and huge sea-fans. Good fish life, overall a delightful dive

Back
Top Bottom