Curacao Tourism Recovery Plan: Phase 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johncn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

Well, there is a proposed Phase 1 for reopening for tourism. As written, it is not likely to help us North Americans for our upcoming July dates. We're a family group from Florida and other states with significant COVID-19 rates with reservations in Curacao for a combo reunion / dive vacation. We'd have to do 14 days in government designated facility, which means most would be unable to clear it in time to do any diving. If this is the best proposal going, looking grim.

(Edited to clarify that is is not adopted by the government as yet...apparently.)

Johncn

Introduction to a Tourism Recovery Plan for Curaçao - CHATA

WILLEMSTAD- May 19, 2020 – In a recent press conference, the Minister of Economic Development, Ms. Giselle Mc William, together with the Curaçao Tourist Board (CTB), the Curaçao Hospitality and Tourism Association (CHATA) and Curaçao Airport Holding (CAH), presented Phase 1 of a Tourism Recovery Plan. As is well known, the island’s tourism is completely paralyzed in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The plan entails reintroducing tourism on Curaçao in a contained manner, accepting a select group to come and visit the island, thus gradually restoring economic activities and stimulating employment. The plan will allow us to start promoting Curaçao as a destination ahead of the competition.

The focus will be on the Netherlands as the primary market, considering that Curaçao is already receiving weekly flights from this country. For the recovery plan, the CTB identified six focus groups: tourists looking for an extended stay, digital nomads, those who have a second home in Curaçao, people from Curaçao living abroad, task force professionals and those opting to leave within 14 days, this group will only experience their vacation under the pre-stipulated quarantined conditions.

For Phase 1, the sales proposition will be aimed at selling packages to persons interested in travelling to Curaçao for a minimum of 7 and up to 180 days and who are willing to stay in mandatory quarantine for the first 14 days at designated accommodations. After the 14-day period, visitors will be tested for COVID-19 and, as long as the results are negative, will be free to book any other accommodation and enjoy our country, subject of course to the same rules that apply to the local community. Visitors who wish to stay for less than 14 days may enjoy their vacation only subject to the conditions that apply during the quarantine period...

A proposal not yet adopted by the government?

i'd do it, but they would need to get it rolling as the kids have to potentially be back in school, for sept...

why would anyone go if they had to waste 14 days of their holiday in isolation ?

on the flip side.....i say good for them. sounds like they are being really smart about this.

I'm supposed to be there for a week as of this upcoming Sunday.... nope....

We were kicking around the possibility (our availability) for mid-August to reschedule, but I'm just not seeing this opening up.

Can't even consider a 3 week vacation (sit in quarantine for 2 weeks) just to have a week. Maybe if the government paid my quarantine expenses.... :rofl3:

This will be interesting to watch.
Seems unworkable for most? Unless retired, not very many people can burn up an extra 2 weeks of vacation time to quarantine on a dive trip - and then there's the added costs as well?

However, I love this part: "...persons interested in travelling to Curaçao for a minimum of 7 and up to 180 days and who are willing to stay in mandatory quarantine for the first 14 days at designated accommodations." How does one do 14 days of quarantine if only interested in travelling to a place for 7 days? Time Travel?

Yeah, I've got the time, but how are you going to shop for food if your first stop is quarantine?

Mind you, Curacao is one of my all time favorite places to dive.

I guess in theory if there was good high speed internet I could "work from home" in Curacao for 14 days then go diving. But if it was another 14 days quarantine when I got home that would probably be a bridge too far :wink:

Apparently Belgium/Germany and Netherlands all cool with no quarantine from July 1st ( need test etc though) States/South America also can come, but 2 weeks prison camp needed on arrival. Canada doesn’t exist apparently...

still waiting for some translation clarification. .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom