Trip Report Curacao Trip Report - April 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pacific Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Curacao Trip Report: Diving/Lodging/Dining

I pestered a number of you here on the board as I was preparing for a recent dive trip to Curacao, so I thought the least I could do was write up a bit of a report that might be helpful to others.

My wife and I (no kids) traveled to Curacao in mid-April, primarily for diving. We are experienced divers; I have just shy of 180 dives, my wife has well over 200. We've dived all over the world; we've stayed at luxury hotels as well as basic dive accommodations. Our most recent previous dive trip was to Bonaire, where we appreciated the flexibility and economy of renting a pickup and shore diving according to our own schedule, so we decided to do the same on this trip.

Lodging: We stayed at the Marriott. We weren't expecting luxury but, even so, the property was overdue for repairs and renovations. The carpets and furniture were showing their age. A couple of bathroom fixtures had at some point been pulled from their moorings and seemed ready to fall apart again; the desk lamp had exposed wires and constantly shorted out. The mattress needed replacing. On the positive side, the staff was helpful, the hot water plentiful, and the (not-free) Internet speedy. I've heard only terrible things about the Hilton next door. If you prefer a brand hotel with a dive operation attached, as opposed to an apartment rental, the Marriott is probably your best bet but its expensive.

If you do stay at the Marriott, avoid eating there. It's overpriced even by Curacao standards, and the quality is poor. Never before have I needed a steak knife to eat fish. We filled the minibar with fruit, yogurt and cheese for breakfast; we ate the rest of our meals elsewhere.

Diving: We did all shore dives on the northwest part of the island. (While we were in Curacao, the Queen Juliana Bridge was under repair with only one lane open in each direction, resulting in traffic congestion that made getting to the eastern end of the island more trouble than it was worth.) We did about a dozen dives at about ten different sites up the west coast. We rented a Daihatsu SUV from Budget whose rear suspension groaned under the weight of tanks and gear. At a couple of dive sites we saw new pickup trucks with the Holiday Rentals Curacao logo, which looked like a better option for those looking to get to shore dive sites with a rental vehicle.

With one exception (Playa Hundu), the dive sites were easy to find, well marked with signs on the main roads. We were able to get everywhere we needed to go with a free map that we picked up at the airport. A number of previous posters to the forum complained about the difficulty of finding the dive sites, so I assume the signs were a recent addition. Even so, what was really lacking was a comprehensive Curacao dive guide. We cobbled together our dive plans from looking at different sites and boards. We did not find the Curacao Diving Guide useful.

Shore diving in Curacao required lots of driving; the dive sites were farther apart than those in Bonaire. There was also more walking from the car to the water's edge in Curacao compared to Bonaire. Hauling gear across parking lots and down to the beach was a pain. That said, most of the entries are sand beaches with little surge, which made getting in and out of the water easy, something not always true in Bonaire. Some sites had longer swim-outs than others, but all were manageable. The dives themselves were pretty straightforward: swim out to the reef, descend, pick a direction (there was little current when we were there), and go. The coral and fish were consistent from site to site; no one site was better than the others in that regard. Our deepest dive was 20m. We did not dive the Mushroom Forest, which was only accessible by boat and we couldn't find a dive operation that fit our schedule. Overall, our favorite sites were:
· Playa Jeremi (an isolated beach with an easy swim out),
· Playa Piskado (a small, uncrowded fishing pier with an easy entry),
· Playa Kalki (home of Go West Diving, $5 per person for a shore dive if youre not diving with Go West, steep stairs down from the parking lot),
· Daaibooi Baai (a broad beach, plenty of parking), and
· Playa Cas Abao (a wide beach).

Some on the board have reported vehicle break-ins. We did not have that problem. We dived both crowded beaches and isolated spots without incident. The Marriott dive shop (Caribbean Sea Sports) warned us away from Superior Producer, claiming that break-ins were almost the rule rather than the exception at that site.

We got tanks and weights from Caribbean Sea Sports. They were helpful, letting us take tanks on the honor system and giving us a spare key to the equipment locker for days that we left for dive sites early or returned late. We bought a couple of plastic bins at a local market to haul our gear around in.

Dining: Prices in Curacao can be eye-popping, no more so than in restaurants. In Willemstad, on the Punta side, avoid the tourist traps on Waterfortstraat mediocre, expensive food. If youre overlooking the water, youre overpaying. Get away from the water to the smaller streets in Punta and you'll have better luck. We liked a little outdoor place near the synagogue that we think was called Circle Bar. Sails, at the Maritime Museum, was a nice and reasonable restaurant.

We found a few places for lunch when we were out diving. Theres a restaurant at Playa Lagun at the bottom of the hill near the parking lot. Convenient for diving at Playa Lagun, of course, and also convenient to Playa Jeremi. Jaanchis is on the main road near Playa Piskado. Playa Porto Marie has a decent, large outdoor bar and restaurant, crowded on weekends.

If you have a rental car, Centrum Supermarket is easy to find, on the road to Bullenbaai just off the road to the airport.

If we go back, well probably skip the hotel and rent an apartment. We would try to find a place that is further from downtown than the Marriott, but close enough that going into town for a meal would still be convenient. While all of the best diving is far to the west, there are not enough other distractions that would encourage us to stay all the way out there.

Really enjoyed your review. You took value from the forum and brought value back to it. Especially liked the practical, 'work flow' look at getting some diving in on your trip.

Was Playa Kalki the only site where you had to pay to dive there?

Richard.

Really enjoyed your review. You took value from the forum and brought value back to it. Especially liked the practical, 'work flow' look at getting some diving in on your trip.

Was Playa Kalki the only site where you had to pay to dive there?

Richard.

Kokomo beach has a small charge too, not anywhere close to $5, which we did not have to pay last year, maybe it something new

Hm -- you would go back, though? About the only advantages over Bonaire that are leaping out from your report are the lack of theft, and easier shore entries.

How would you compare the coral and fish to other spots in the Caribbean?

We wouldn't avoid Curacao, but we wouldn't rush back either. Given the choice between Bonaire and Curacao, I'd go back to Bonaire. The quality of diving is a bit better in Bonaire and the dive sites are closer together and easier to reach. You can do at least one more dive per day, perhaps two, in Bonaire. That's a good thing, because there's nothing else to do in Bonaire. We never had car break-in problems in Bonaire. We left our truck unlocked and left nothing of value in it.

In the Caribbean, we've been to Roatan, Little Cayman, Curacao and Bonaire. Roatan is clearly on top for quality of the diving. I'd tend to group the other three roughly together.

In the Caribbean, we've been to Roatan, Little Cayman, Curacao and Bonaire. Roatan is clearly on top for quality of the diving. I'd tend to group the other three roughly together.

Interesting! I've been to Bonaire, not the other 3 as yet. From what I've read on the forum by others, I thought the general community consensus tended to be that Little Cayman was about the best diving in the Caribbean, Curacao & Bonaire very similar with pretty good reefs and 'fishy,' and Roatan had lush reefs and lots of macro subjects but wasn't as 'fishy.' I figure there will be divers whose experiences don't line up with those generalizations, and evidently yours did not.

What part of Roatan did you stay at & dive out of? I ask because a poster with extensive Roatan experience in one or more other threads has pointed out that many scuba tourists to Roatan tend to 'stay on the reservation' (unlike Bonaire, where they drive around the island) and often dive only a fairly small local part, serviced by their dive op. This is significant because Roatan offers substantially different underwater environments, based on where you are.

So I'm curious as to what part you dove.

Richard.

Curacao Trip Report: Diving/Lodging/Dining

· Playa Kalki (home of Go West Diving, $5 per person for a shore dive if you’re not diving with Go West, steep stairs down from the parking lot),

Is this new? I have never seen anyone pay to dive Kalki. I pretty much always get tanks and weight from GoWest so I would not know first-hand, but I would have said anyone was free to dive there at no charge.

Is this new? I have never seen anyone pay to dive Kalki. I pretty much always get tanks and weight from GoWest so I would not know first-hand, but I would have said anyone was free to dive there at no charge.
The beach is technically public, but the dive shop dock and other facilities are not. I once saw a couple divers come in with their gear and own tanks, and get politely but firmly stopped - no idea if they then paid or what. Don't know how often people try, or get noticed, but I think the small fee for use of the facilities is reasonable. (I don't recall if they have anything posted since I rarely enter from the top. But if I were doing it I'd just rent tanks there instead and avoid hauling them down the stairs.)

I realize the dive shop and its facilities are not public property; I was just unaware that they charged a fee to use their pier. Not saying they cannot or should not. When I dive there I use their tanks so I have never encountered this myself. By Curacao standards I think maybe $5.00 per person is a bit high, especially since GoWest only charges $8.00 for a tank rental. For $3.00 I would not bother lugging a tank down the stairs and back I have hauled tanks up and down those stairs on occasion and it isn't a lot of fun...

On the other hand, the shop only has one restroom for divers and limited space for gearing up and so on, and I can see how they would not want non-customers taking up space and causing paying customers to be unable to use the facilities.

Back
Top Bottom