Trip Report Curacao Trip Report - Jan '18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Narrative and photos attached.

Attachments

• Cur Trip Report 2018.docx
    19.3 KB · Views: 282
  • MICR0020.JPG
    MICR0020.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 141
  • MICR0063.JPG
    MICR0063.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 121
  • MICR0065.JPG
    MICR0065.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 119
  • MICR0068.JPG
    MICR0068.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 136
  • MICR0074.JPG
    MICR0074.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 123
  • MICR0094.JPG
    MICR0094.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 125
  • MICR0244.JPG
    MICR0244.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report. My wife & I enjoy Curacao as well, especially Westpunt. Really liked your description of the diving there. We like the ease of Bonaire diving, but the "day trips" on Curacao are special. We're headed back this fall. :)

Some topside photos. Porch at Allwest, beach at Grote Knip, Boca Tabla, and beach at Lions Dive

Attachments

• WP_20180126_007.jpg
    WP_20180126_007.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 136
  • WP_20180127_005.jpg
    WP_20180127_005.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 118
  • WP_20180128_007.jpg
    WP_20180128_007.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 122
  • WP_20180130_005.jpg
    WP_20180130_005.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 126
I just tried to watch it and got 'This video is unavailable.' I'm on a Mac, and tried Safari and Firefox. Plan to try again later.

I'm curious as to how many boat vs. how many shore dives you did. I've dove Bonaire but not Curacao, so naturally I look at Curacao from a Bonaire perspective. Comparing trip reports, I see many people only (or nearly only) shore dive on Bonaire trips, whereas I have the impression (rightly or wrongly) that most Curacao trip reports feature a mix of boat & shore.

Richard.

17 dives with only one of them by boat.. Just as on Bon, shore and boat dives are available. Our preference was for shore. We did the one boat dive to Watamula because for all practical purposes it is the only way to get there and it is a wonderful dive. I was planning on a two tank at Lions Dive/Oceanencounters but had a change of plans.

@tkaelin , great trip report!

I particularly liked your review of Cas Abou and diving there. That seems like a great way to do a relaxed dive day! Are there any other places similar to Cas Abou in terms of set-up that you are aware of? From your description of the fishing boats, I’d be uncomfortable diving Allwest’s house reef, but that’s just me.

Playa Kalki and Watamula are on my list of dives too, if I ever get to Curacao.

As for Kura Hulanda, I have heard about their “I don’t care” attitude with their hotel too, not just the beach restaurant. Oh well...

Dogbowl, I think Curacao is known for having these tucked away public beaches that you can dive from. Some have very little in the way of amenities on site and some have quite a bit like Cas Abou. We drove into Grote Knip another beautiful beach (pic above) and there are amenities but I don't think an onsite dive op. Right next to is Klein Knip, which may have less in the way of amenities but looked like easy access from where you park to getting in the water with gear. We dove Playa Lagun last trip and there is an op on site with amenities and easy access. There are others but we have not been yet.

As far as being comfortable at Allwest, if you dive from the apartments and stay to the left side off the moored boats furthest away from the dock you encounter less in the way of activity. The uncomfortable/concern part was between the boats and the shore exit, maybe a distance of 20-30 yards bc that was the shallowest. A flag float may be a good idea (i think it is technically required).

In the lobby of Kura I think they posted their trip advisor rating which was curious as to why they did because it was fairly low.

Hope you make it to CUR someday.

drrich2 let me know if you still can't view. I am assuming others can. It is posted on youtube and embedded here on a youtube link.

Just tried Safari browser again, and my iPhone, too; both indicated the video is unavailable. I watch plenty of YouTube on our devices (we have a 4-year old; my wife's about toxic from being exposed to Toy Lab TV, Bean & more).

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom