Curacao wildlife report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So just in case anybody *happens* to be coming to visit CuraíÂo in the near future

AND IF YOU'RE NOT THEN WHY NOT!!??

Did anybody hear something then?

Aaaaanyway... so today we saw dolphins within easy snorkelling distance of our lil diving hut, aaaand recently a Nurse shark has been spotted on the house reef... oooh and also today apparently a manta on Superior Producer

So just in case anybody *happens* to be tootling by here in the near future and you're not salivating already... that's the recent big hitters in the local area.

Just thought you might like to know...:D

Dive happy,

C.

P.S. Did I mention the sperm whales spotted of Westpunt?
Oh dear, I didn't. Silly me.

Last edited:
Tell us more

That's no fair - i am up here in New York City in the freezing cold...and can't wait until September for Curacao....mantas at the superior producer...I'm drooling!

That's no fair - i am up here in New York City in the freezing cold...and can't wait until September for Curacao....mantas at the superior producer...I'm drooling!

sucks to be you then! :)

Just kidding muzicgirl! :D

Okay so the sperm whales were spotted off westpunt a few days ago; the dolphins we saw again this morning outside our hut but they were gone by the time I got in for my first dive, unfortuntaley, but I'm hoping to get in the water early enough sometime soon, sort of 8.30am ish to maybe see if they want to play (Looking at you Cheddar girl!)

Think we've had a slight increase in the number of rays seen here as well - we've been seeing Eagle rays quite regularly - especially at Varsenbaai and Porto Marie.

Not seen the shark yet but we're still hopeful, and a Superior dive needs to be done soon, just in case the manta pops by again!

Also - water temperature is warming up again - 27 degrees Centigrade today! :)

Dive safe

C.

Crowley, I spotted some wildlife in Westpunt yesterday; actually they were quite well behaved....

So I wasn't supposed to show up in a toga????

We are on our third day of diving and have seen so much already. When diving Watamula today we saw three types off eel on one dive alone. We saw a green morray, spotted and during our saftey stop my husband found a sharptail eel. No manta or shark sightings but many beautiful coral formations and numerous variety of fish.

Thanks Crowley- I'll remember that! Are you a DiveMaster with a particular dive shop on Curacao?

Yes muzicgirl I'm an instructor at the Dive Bus with Mark and Suzy. I'm still relatively new to Curacao but I've been here since October so managing to find my way around now! :)

Absolultey glorious dive at Tugboat this morning. Nothing really special like mantas or dolphins but dead calm clear blue water and an (albeit brief, sadly) spell of sunshine lit the reef up magnificently. Found an ickle orange sea-horse which was also a nice bonus, but could not find the frogfish *anywhere*.

Bit grumpy about that, to be honest... :-(

Anyway, just another wonderful day's diving in Curacao!

C.

Hi Crowley

We saw an eagle ray at the car pile during a night dive two weeks ago. Probably I will be diving the car pile again during the day on Saturday (afternoon) so hopefully I will meet the shark or the dolphins or, even better, both. Tomorrow I will do a night dive at the Superior; not much chance to see a manta in the dark, but I will certainly keep you posted in case I see one.

Can you be a bit more specific where you found the seahorse at the Tugboat? Or is that an instructor's secret?

Back
Top Bottom