curious about the Hollis F2 Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
currently using jet fins. There’s nothing wrong with the, but wanna try other fins too. How is the Hollis f2?

I dive tropical. BPW in rashguard and board shorts with alum plate and jets.

Read that the f2 is neutrally buoyant? Will it affect my trim much? I don’t use weights

The F2 are light in weight (possibly neutrally buoyant, but I am not sure) and compact in size, making them great for airline travel, but they don't generate as much thrust as the F1 or Jet fin.

The F2 are light in weight (possibly neutrally buoyant, but I am not sure) and compact in size, making them great for airline travel, but they don't generate as much thrust as the F1 or Jet fin.

Oh... I see. What about the F1 vs the jet fin? I assume F1 is as negative as jets?

Oh... I see. What about the F1 vs the jet fin? I assume F1 is as negative as jets?

I believe I have read that, though I have not myself used the F1. I don't have time to search, but you could try a search query like this using Google:

site:scubaboard.com F1 jet buoyancy

per the forum rules, we are not allowed to discuss other products in the manufacturers subforums as it is meant to ask them directly for advise. Hollis has essentially abandoned this subforum, but still.

F1 is comparable to jet, but much better IMO if you need/want a negative fin.

per the forum rules, we are not allowed to discuss other products in the manufacturers subforums as it is meant to ask them directly for advise. Hollis has essentially abandoned this subforum, but still.

F1 is comparable to jet, but much better IMO if you need/want a negative fin.

Sorry for mentioning another brand. I just wanted to compare their buoyancy as a benchmark.

How so is the F1 Hollis any better? Can you expound

I didn't even notice what forum this was in. I will duly flog myself.

This is the best data point I have found for weight and buoyancy of some of the fins being discussed: http://www.tfmengineering.com.au/Fins testing report.pdf

Based on this, if you like jets but want something lighter, the order in terms of weight would be something like: Jets, Slipstreams, Eddys.

And yes, if you swapped out the Jets for something lighter, you would need to add the additional weight to your BP, waist, or somewhere else.

i bought a set of hollies f2 very nice and compact for travel but are pretty gutless .worked OK for diving in a 3 mm shorty and low lead in the tropics but i was working double time wearing these fins for drysuit diving cold water with 24 lbs of lead on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom