Current in French Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disclaimer - I'm a current Junkie -

Tipuata is only really tricky IMO if you come into the pass in the shallows on top of the reef below the breaking wave (which happens to also be one of my favourite parts of the dive) the rest of the time you're just flying along with a boatman overhead - I'd recommend Rangiroa Plongee. You can dive current free inside the lagoon as you can at Fakarava which keeps eluding me so I would say yes, Tuomotos are far superior diving then the Societies but - Dive where you are comfortable.

Moorea has better diving and some pretty reefs than Bora Bora which I've found bland other than fed/conditioned lemon sharks and a manta Ray dive (where I've only ever seen one manta but the cruise ship people all go AHH!) and I also find Moorea a more interesting less pretentious island overall.

Did a two tank dive in Fakarava last week, and the current was very manageable and was a lot of fun. With full disclosure, a couple of divers had a problem with the current, but they were inexperienced and not very proficient divers, IMHO. We did not dive Rangiroa because there was too much swell for the boat to offload the passengers to the tenders. Diving in Bora Bora was very nice, as was Raiatea, but I was totally unimpressed with Moorea as a dive/snorkel location. Bora Bora and Raiatea were very easy dives, and you will like them whether or not you dive the Tuamotus.

I know what swayed me towards Moorea over BB now you mention it.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom