Current mask too small

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, water leaking in is not part of the deal.

Some people can wear most masks without a problem. Children and some adults will need to try on several masks to find one that fits.

I would suggest going back to your local dive shop and trying masks until you find one that fits properly. Ask for help if you don't know how to check the fit yourself.

Are you currently certified or are you buying gear for a class?

I went back and looked at your link and also noticed this was posted in snorkeling. Not a bad price for what you got but you could probably do just as well in a dive shop. I'll admit I don't know about local pricing in Boston but if you are hard to fit the premium will be worth it.

Here are a couple suggestions based on my personal opinions and others will probably disagree:

1. Try to return the set if you can. It is good but not good for you.
2. Ditch the idea of a dry snorkel. A semi dry is nice but the dry snorkels have a flapper that can come loose and close off the air when you are on the surface. With a little training you will not need or want this feature.
3. Get some training. Most people have the opinion that snorkeling does not require training but a little investment in taking the time to learn proper techniques will make your snorkeling much more enjoyable and you will learn how to fit a mask, keep it from fogging, and why you don't need a dry snorkel.
4. Call your local dive shop and ask about skin diver certification. Shop around until you find an instructor who specializes in snorkeling. Believe or not most scuba instructors are not really that good at snorkeling, some don't even believe in using snorkels. You should be able to learn everything you need to know in a nice warm indoor pool.

Last edited:
Thank you all!

1. Any good dive shops around me?
2. Thus set was bought over the summer, it is mine now, i can give to one of my kids when they grow into it
3. If there are no awesome dive shops near me, can you recommend a few masks? I'll order from Amazon and return what doesnt fit.

Do you wear a hood? I have noticed with a slightly oversized and stiff hood the head can rotate inside of it a little. The mask strap then pulls the mask sideways. I changed the hood and fixed a mask problem once.

Really need to find a brick and mortar store and try masks on. I just had to buy a new one the other day (broke the frame) and tried on a bunch to find the few that actually fit. Then narrowed those down on field of view and other features. With how a mask has to fit to work (as you have discovered) you really have to try them. Reviews of fitting good or leaking bad are irrelevant to you (unless it is your identical twin giving the review). Once you find a mask the fits, just buy it. Support the store that put the inventory on the shelf that actually allowed you the opportunity to try them on. Most stores know they are competing with the internet and will have very competitive pricing.

East coast divers in Brookline seem to get great reviews. Ill stop in there later this week.

replace strap with fixed neoprene , (Poseidon exactly that is one of the best !) with only Velcro fixing !
Poseidon Neoprene Mask Strap
DIR Zone Neoprene Mask Strap

replace snorkel with fixed curve without ribs inside !( breathing resistance) and have more loose loop for strap , also snorkel must be curved around face

Aqua Lung Nautilus Folding Travel Snorkel
Fun 2 Snorkel, Blue | Scubapro Store

or with purge valve

Atomic SV1 Contour Snorkel

I have similar backup mask from BARE but there are many models looks same (ATOMIC ) and are very nice . PS I put links not to to cheer for a particular brand but to show the shape

I went back and looked at your link and also noticed this was posted in snorkeling. Not a bad price for what you got but you could probably do just as well in a dive shop. I'll admit I don't know about local pricing in Boston but if you are hard to fit the premium will be worth it.

Here are a couple suggestions based on my personal opinions and others will probably disagree:

1. Try to return the set if you can. It is good but not good for you.
2. Ditch the idea of a dry snorkel. A semi dry is nice but the dry snorkels have a flapper that can come loose and close off the air when you are on the surface. With a little training you will not need or want this feature.
3. Get some training. Most people have the opinion that snorkeling does not require training but a little investment in taking the time to learn proper techniques will make your snorkeling much more enjoyable and you will learn how to fit a mask, keep it from fogging, and why you don't need a dry snorkel.
4. Call your local dive shop and ask about skin diver certification. Shop around until you find an instructor who specializes in snorkeling. Believe or not most scuba instructors are not really that good at snorkeling, some don't even believe in using snorkels. You should be able to learn everything you need to know in a nice warm indoor pool.
I disagree. IMHO you don’t need to take a snorkel class. Unless you are very uncomfortable in the water and don’t know how to keep a mask from fogging up.

And you can’t practice in a nice warm pool. What do you learn from that? You need to be out in the cold water in the ocean to practice, otherwise you don’t become more comfortable. It all depends how comfortable you are in the water. In scuba, you can be in a pool practicing skills but in snorkeling there are no real “skills” to practice, it’s more about getting more comfortable in the dark deep water without air (for me at least anyways

Some people can’t fathom the idea of swimming down 20 feet without air to see what’s down their....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom