Current state of the Union on heated undies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the current top dogs in heated undergarments to wear under a drysuit?

I'm aware of the Santi BZ400, but I am more interested in something that is less bulky. I'm thinking, something that is only heat, without insulation, that could be worn with whatever other undies I want to use.

Which means, probably a vest. But, if there is a full suit, or heated leggings, that are uninsulated, I'd like to know about them, too.

I'm also aware of the Thermalution offerings, but I'm not really interested in buying any of their stuff, for a variety of reasons.

I am also really only interested in options that I can power and control using a separate system (i.e. UWLD battery canister and heat controller) - not something that comes with its own battery and controller.

If you post something, including a link to a product page about it would be very helpful. :)

I've beem using an undershirt from heizteufel.de for 2 years now, and really like it. Their heat controllers are no better than anybody elses unfortunately. I reverted to using a Swedish controller that I've had for a few years, that works better than anything else.
Controlled by switching the battery on/off.
On > 100%
Off > Off
On > 70%
Off > Off
On > 30%
Off for more than 60 seconds restarts the cycle.
The Heizteufel undies are here:
Heizbares Taucherunterhemd "diveShirt-7" mit 7 Heizzonen
I use a Gralmarine 4S Battery (16.8V at full charge) which makes the heating controller essential.

Michael

Switching the heated undershirt on when you are cold and starting to do your deco has bent me twice. As long as I keep some heat on during the whole dive, I don't get bent. Best way to explain it is like taking a hot shower after a dive. Staying warm is OK, heating up on deco is a major No-No.

Michael

Switching the heated undershirt on when you are cold and starting to do your deco has bent me twice. As long as I keep some heat on during the whole dive, I don't get bent. Best way to explain it is like taking a hot shower after a dive. Staying warm is OK, heating up on deco is a major No-No.

Michael

Important to NOT stay hot on the beginning of the dive though. That has studies done to prove a higher risk of DCS, so you want to be on minimal or no heat for as long as possible, then ease into it to prevent an increased rate of inert gas uptake in the beginning, then slower at the end. Also important to have relatively conservative GF hi's if you are turning them on towards the end of the dive/start of ascent.

When I do buy heat, my plan is to buy a big enough battery that I can just have it on and stay warm (but not too warm) the whole time....

When I do buy heat, my plan is to buy a big enough battery that I can just have it on and stay warm (but not too warm) the whole time....

Please do your research on this. You want the heat on as low as possible in case of a failure until you are ready for ascent. If you have a heat failure and you've had it on so you are nice and toasty in the beginning you're going to bend yourself like a pretzel. You are increasing the rate of inert gas uptake by being warm at the beginning, and if it fails, you are slowing the rate on the way out. The algorithms are based on the assumption that the rates are not changed by any thermal factors, only pressure changes so they can't factor in your temperature. If you take it in faster and the vest fails, you really need to drop your GF-Hi way down to make sure you get rid of all the gas. What @michael-fisch experienced is getting too hot too late and his body trying to dump it all out too fast which is why it's important that you turn it on/up as you are getting ready to leave the bottom. On a wreck that would be on your way back to the ascent line, on a cave it's a little easier to sort out. If you leave the battery on deco if you're in a cave, then it's important to ease into it and not just slam the heat on.

Please do your research on this. You want the heat on as low as possible in case of a failure until you are ready for ascent. If you have a heat failure and you've had it on so you are nice and toasty in the beginning you're going to bend yourself like a pretzel. You are increasing the rate of inert gas uptake by being warm at the beginning, and if it fails, you are slowing the rate on the way out. The algorithms are based on the assumption that the rates are not changed by any thermal factors, only pressure changes so they can't factor in your temperature. If you take it in faster and the vest fails, you really need to drop your GF-Hi way down to make sure you get rid of all the gas. What @michael-fisch experienced is getting too hot too late and his body trying to dump it all out too fast which is why it's important that you turn it on/up as you are getting ready to leave the bottom. On a wreck that would be on your way back to the ascent line, on a cave it's a little easier to sort out. If you leave the battery on deco if you're in a cave, then it's important to ease into it and not just slam the heat on.

Thanks. I do appreciate the concern. I am aware of those issues and I was perhaps being a bit too cavalier in the way I said things. When I do get a heated undergarment, I will definitely be careful, not turn it on too soon, etc..

It seems pretty obvious that it is important to dress warm enough that, if your heat fails, you don't freeze while you're on the bottom or trying to deco out. With gear that warm, I would not expect to actually start to feel cold anywhere near the start of the dive. So, turning heat on should really not happen until late anyway. The heat is just there to be a bit more comfortable. If it is making a BIG difference, then you didn't dress warm enough (for the event that your heat dies).

Back
Top Bottom