Current Status of Fill Station Owned/Operated by Stathis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's only fun if you like having your air computer constantly go into deco lock out and beep at you.
My old home dive bud was never into details, he knew I was so focused that he'd just wing it with me, wouldn't even look at maps before we went exploring on the mainland, but I nearly came to blows the third time he tried to ignore my directions while he drove. We were leaving Chichen Itza for Ek Balam, but he tried staying on the tollway to Cancun!

On a Cathedral dive we both put our Oceanic computers into deco, but that cleared easily with our slow ascent and safety stop - no lockout. I suggested a little debriefing and sure enough he never noticed. I asked if he heard the beeping "Yeah, what was that about?"

If Chief sets one computer to Air, leaves the other on 36% and dives it to limits - even tho the latter is excessively conservative to penalized divers needlessly, he may lock his Air computer if he just follows the prompts for the 36% computer

That's only fun if you like having your air computer constantly go into deco lock out and beep at you.

How else will you know you're past air NDL limit and finally getting your money's worth?

When the air computer hits 0 just attach it to your smb and slowly shoot it to the surface no faster than your smallest bubbles. This works better if it's not a console computer.

There is no good reason to fake out your computer by setting it to air while you are diving nitrox. You should accurately track your oxygen exposure and dive your computer conservatively, if that's what you think you should do.

You sound serious. We left serious behind awhile ago.

That's why I mentioned earlier wearing two computers - one on air and one on nitrox - so you know when you've passed the air limit and you're in bonus territory. One of these days I'm just not going to leave.
Not a good idea. Your spare should be in your dive bag so that if you violate your computer you will have a fresh one available for the next dive.:eek:
:popcorn:

I would think lubing up would help get the nitrogen in and out of solution all the quicker. Hey wait, that is science, like substances which are more soluble in ethanol (an organic solvent) than water are primarily covalent in nature. These include substances such as nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur, etc. These covalent molecules are very insoluble in water, but very soluble in organic solvents if I am not mistaken, so technically drinking should allow you to keep more nitrogen in solution. Not sure if you would have to stay drunk or not to get the nitrogen from coming out for lack of solvent.
Assuming what you say is true (I haven't checked), if you drank enough alcohol for it to make a significant difference in the solubility of nitrogen in your bloodstream, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to worry about DCS or anything else.

When the air computer hits 0 just attach it to your smb and slowly shoot it to the surface no faster than your smallest bubbles. This works better if it's not a console computer.

I saw a DM do that once on an afternoon dive.

There is no good reason to fake out your computer by setting it to air while you are diving nitrox. You should accurately track your oxygen exposure and dive your computer conservatively, if that's what you think you should do.
We are discussing comparing the outcomes. He still have the other one on nitrox @ 36% to track that.

No, wear it to finish the comparison.

Not a good idea. Your spare should be in your dive bag so that if you violate your computer you will have a fresh one available for the next dive.:eek:
:popcorn:
Do you have any other dangerous suggestions? I wear two computers because I have two, which started a decade ago when my diving was more aggressive. Same brand, same settings, so they should read about the same. If not, why not? It seemed like a good safety measure. My original plan was to put the wrist computer on any assigned buddies who didn't have one so I could watch it on them, but I try to avoid assigned buddies.

I should clarify that I am actually a big fan of nitrox and use it on most dive trips.
Do you get your DAN discount?

Well I needed a PB win to make the point.

So you are saying it DOES help me feel better? I am, actually thinking of buying some steel tanks so I dont have to use the 100 al rental as the only offer them in 32 at MerryD. The other deal is MerryD will only fill to 3000 regardless of the tank's working pressure. So a 100 AL a big underfill at 3000. So if I buy steel, should I just get the 100 which will also get a short fill or should I jump up to the 120 with a short fill.

And that was why I asked Dave if he filled other tanks. If I could get a full fill of a 100 with the extra sweet Aldora air at 36% I would just pretty much be in heaven.

No no no.... You said basically any bottom time under the NDL has the exact same amount of risk but provided no empirical evidence. evidence. Why are there NDL limits and why do computer algorithms all figure it differently? I posit because they all come up with different ideas of where nitrogen loaded gets TOO bad. Hence a sliding scale, hence lower on the scale has to be better, hence less is more, more or less. Thank you. Tip the wait staff, I will be here all week.

Wait, where does it say being under the influence increase the chance of DCS? I have hear the old dehydration FROM drinking thing, but not simple drunk diving. Oh sure it could kill you from lots of other things, but DCS? I would think lubing up would help get the nitrogen in and out of solution all the quicker. Hey wait, that is science, like substances which are more soluble in ethanol (an organic solvent) than water are primarily covalent in nature. These include substances such as nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur, etc. These covalent molecules are very insoluble in water, but very soluble in organic solvents if I am not mistaken, so technically drinking should allow you to keep more nitrogen in solution. Not sure if you would have to stay drunk or not to get the nitrogen from coming out for lack of solvent.

I'm not in until the 11th of September. Yes I am flying that day. I know I live dangerously. How long are you there?

And he is a pantywaist. They were only Ray's margs at El Moro. It wasn't like I feed him a Guido marg. Thank goodness its a short walk home from Guidos. @Dave Dillehay talked me into a Fat Tuesday's marg. That was literally a 7-11 Slushy. It may have a had a second cousin that once saw a bottle of tequila in a parade but that's it. Of course FT did have a lovely nachos plate with pump cheese to go with that. But Dave loves a slushy apparently.....
Get the LP95's, they will get filled to 3000 too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom