Current top drysuits for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had drysuits from Poseidon, DUI, USIA, Diving Concepts, and Waterproof. None of the others come close to Waterproof. Easily replaceable seals that can be found cheaply and a dry glove system that actually stays dry.
I agree on the quality. Waterproof makes great dry suits if they fit you and you like a baggy cut.

The amount that neoprene compresses depends on the specific neoprene and the depth. It’s not as simple as “after 33 feet, it is compressed 50%.”
It’s a good rough judge of the amount of compression.

I said 10m not after 10m.

1 ata at surface. 2 ata at 10m. That is 50% compression. It has twice the pressure on it.

Edit: talking about standard neoprene not compressed.

1 ata at surface. 2 ata at 10m. That is 50% compression. It has twice the pressure on it.

Neoprene is not an Ideal Spring. It does not compress to 50% at 2ATA. Close, possibly - depending on the neoprene. Some neoprene is more resistant to compression than other neoprene.

You might watch the video on this page:

Chamber Test - Wetwear Custom Ez-on Wetsuit

I went to the LDS today and the owner just happened to have a DUI Yukon 2 in stock that was my size. Tried it on, fit well and based on the no other people in the shop, figured he could use the sale. Supposed to have my orientation dive this Friday with the same private instructor who taught me OW and AOW.

Doesn't appear to be brain surgery, use the air to prevent the squeeze and ensure your dump valve is open. Will be interesting to see how my buoyancy and weighting is with this vs my 3mm Henderson and 8mm NeoTek.

I'd like to say this thread helped me, but it really didn't. :)

It is clear there is no Shearwater of Dry Suits. Regardless, I'm very pleased with my purchase and did enough research prior to pulling the trigger that I don't think I made a huge mistake.

LDS owner recommended at some point considering the KUBA dry glove system, which seems to align with a few of the comments in this thread, which is good to see.

I went to the LDS today and the owner just happened to have a DUI Yukon 2 in stock that was my size. Tried it on, fit well and based on the no other people in the shop, figured he could use the sale. Supposed to have my orientation dive this Friday with the same private instructor who taught me OW and AOW.

Doesn't appear to be brain surgery, use the air to prevent the squeeze and ensure your dump valve is open. Will be interesting to see how my buoyancy and weighting is with this vs my 3mm Henderson and 8mm NeoTek.

It is clear there is no Shearwater of Dry Suits. Regardless, I'm very pleased with my purchase and did enough research prior to pulling the trigger that I don't think I made a huge mistake.

LDS owner recommended at some point considering the KUBA dry glove system, which seems to align with a few of the comments in this thread, which is good to see.
Seems like we’ve travelled along similar paths at similar times. I also was using a neotek before switching to my seaskin compressed neoprene suit.

for what it’s worth, I used 4 kg with my neotek, and used 8 kg with my dry suit on my first two dives. I’ll probably cut it back to 7 kg on my next dive but 8 kg was diveable and comfortable.

I would obviously follow the teachings of your instructor, but I am surprised so many people here recommend diving with the valve completely open. The valve should maintain a constant volume of air in the suit; if you have it tuned correctly, you can turn either way without losing air from the suit and without changing your buoyancy. If you don’t have any air in your wing, ascending will cause the air to expand, which you can automatically dump and regain your neutral buoyancy. For me finding this point made the dive much more relaxing; when I had the valve completely open if I rolled so my left shoulder was up, air would dump, id start to slowly descend and I would have to re-inflate and try to regain my neutral buoyancy.

My advice would be just take the first couple dives slowly, especially when ascending or descending. But if you understand the physics or what’s happening, it’s not really much different than learning how to use a Wing. Just be aware it does dump slower than a wing, so you have to be on top of and pay attention to your depth.

DUI CF200x ...with Santi drygloves... no leaks...and pretty tough.

Get a p-valve fitted. Make or break a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom