Curved Masks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At DEMA 2001 HO was behind Mares and OmerSub, on the right side of the building.
They gave me confidential prices and, when compared to other brands they don't seem too expensive.
Ar for the heavy part ... I agree.

I didn't have the time to look deeply into it but the Demo Kit includes Mask, Cover Lens, Monocle, 2 pairs of eyeglasses, dry box with mirror, custom-made polarizes clip-ons and neoprene pouch & eyeglass retainer. Retail for this was $330.
I looked at the price for resellers and am still trying to figure what the info is about. It seems a reseler gets a very good discount.

The Bandit mask is ok...as long as it fits your face exactly. Unlike most masks, it does not have the second little silicon lip around the frame to help it seal. Just because you can suck it onto your face above water, doesn't mean it will not leak in the water. See if you dive shop will let you take one out and try it, or make sure they will offer an exchange if it does leak on you.

Also, the Bandit is not glass like most masks. So..whatever you do..DON'T try to clean the lenses with toothpaste before you take it out. The lenses are made of a pressure resistant plastic, and toothpaste or any abrasive cleaner will scratch them. We do sell them in our shop..but most have been returned because they didn't fit right in the water.

I would try a "frameless" mask. Scubapro, Mares and Oceanic all have their own versions. I think they are probably the lowest volume masks that seem to work for most people.

My 2 cents worth: I have tested full face masks (ffm) in the past with curved lenses. The refraction was so bad it almost made you sea sick! You seen things distorted in the bend and actually seen things twice. We then tried optically corrected glass to try and take out some of the refraction. It took a lot of volume to accomplish it making the ffm really buoyant. It looked like giant bees eyes and we had to put weights in the mask.

For diving, unless they really come up with something extraordinary, a wrap around visor is going to be really tricky! We also tested them with night devices, they were cool but the depth of field was only about ½ inch making it a pain to focus on things....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom