Custom Booties (after hip replacement, one leg longer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyonsce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just had a hip replacement on my right leg and that leg is now longer by about 3/8". I would like to get a set of booties, with the left one having a 3/8" thicker sole to compensate for the leg length. I know it probably will be custom and that is fine. Anyone have this problem or knows of someone that will make a set of booties like this for me? Thanks,

Chuck Lyons

I don't know who would do anything like this...might be tough to find. Is this for a drysuit or wetsuit? Have you thought about buying them 1 size too big, and adding some Dr. Schols to one side? Another thing would be to actually retrofit yours. Take a second pair or some similar material and glue it to the bottom of the boot. That wouldn't change internal dimensions, and would convert what you have to work. You have a template, your current boot, and we have drysuit glues that would bond together. You could put 1 thick piece or multiple pieces to get the desired height. It would be alot cheaper than paying someone, and you could make it perfect as you have the ability to try it on and add another one quickly.

1+ on the insert. Look for the one's recommended for heel pain/plantar fasciitis, these tend to be a thicker cushion and often gel. You can even glue it in if needed. Alternative could be a podiatrist to form an insert.

Just checked the heel pads in our office. Measures right at 3/8th. And cheap enough to replace as needed.

Your orthopedist or therapist might be able to help you with this as well.

Last edited:
I speak from experience. Unless you are doing very frequent and long walks for shore dives, why would you worry about a 3/8 inch leg length difference for diving? Once you are in the water, a leg length discrepancy is not going to make any difference, and will not be noticeable. I would think trying to customize your boots, which may also mean two different sized boots and fins, is going to be more of a problem than the leg length. As one who had a slightly greater leg length discrepancy than yours due to an arthritic knee and hip (before I had them replaced), I think your greater problem is how that leg length discrepancy is going to adversely affect the rest of your body in the long term. I waited way too long to get my defective knee replaced, and that delayed decision eventually destroyed my hip, forcing me to have the hip replaced on the same side as the knee, and has also caused problems in other major joints on the other side as well as the spine. Now all is temporarily in balance, but I fear my delayed replacement procedures are eventually going to get me enrolled in the Joint Replacement of the Year Club. I would invest in some good, well designed and fitted orthotics for the shoes that you will wear every day, and just enjoy diving with your current boots and fins.

To avoid changing fin sizes, I wonder if just adding a thickness to the heel of the bootie would let your legs be the same length, without affecting the fit of the fin pocket.

A tub of glue won't be much, $10-$20, Aquaseal or neoprene cement, and lots of things that are 3/8" thick could work. Perhaps a piece of rubber from McMaster Carr? Cut it to fit, glue it on, probably have enough left over to replace it if/when the first fix falls off.

Sounds like you needed a better surgeon.. My son sells those hip joints..Jim...

Thanks for all the replies. A couple of points: 1. To Altamira, I do realize that the length difference won't be a problem in the water, I am more concerned about on the boat if choppy water, but that may not be an issue as I get used to the difference. 2. I like the Mcmaster Carr idea, the issue I had with a DIY was the ability I have to get good quality parts, and this looks like a good quality rubber. Just in general, I knew I would probably need a DIY fix, but figured I would ask to see if anyone had this issue before and had a good source or idea for resolution. Thanks to all for the help, and if anyone else has an idea, let me know.

The only problem I had with having one leg an inch longer after my first hip replacement was that it screwed up my kung fu movements. I went and had all my shoes adjusted..problem solved..kinda.
On boats, it wasn't an issue since the boat is moving all the time anyway and I'm constantly adjusting if I move about. And as you've figured out, in water, no problem.
The problem was solved on the second replacement, since he made the legs the same length. Why he didn't do that the first time is beyond me.:mad:

From my son, The cuts in both the long bone and hip socket are often cut long and then the doctors fail to remove the ball end and re-cut after the measurement. Just trying to save time... Know your doctor.... You should hear some of the horror stories he sees from some doctors.. You never want to hear a surgeon say " That's good enough "

Jim...

It's a bit late to choose new surgeon, unless you need a second hip replacement--and you may.

My wife had her hip replaced, and she immediately complained about one leg being shorter than the other. The surgeon insisted she was imagining it--her legs were the same length, he said repeatedly. Then her second hip started to wear remarkably quickly, and it was going to need to be replaced a well. By then, she had heard about a different procedure, the anterior approach, that was supposedly better. Her surgeon did not use that approach, so she went to one who did for an opinion. He checker X-rays and confirmed that one leg was indeed shorter than the other, and he could see why. He said the angle at which her femur connected to the hip socket was unusually steep, and the angle of the replaced hip was more standard. That accounted for the difference in length, but it also accounted for the rapid erosion of he second hip after the surgery.That surgeon did the second hip and got her legs the same length again.

I agree with those who are suggesting inserts in oversized boots as your answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom