Custom color Filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know where I could get a color correction fitler for my camera or housing.

I have a Sony TRV-33 with Lights and Motion Top-Dog mini DV housing. I contacted Light and Motion, but they told me they did not make any filters for my housing model?"?? They told me that if I coudl fit one in, it should work. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know where I could get a custom color filter?

Thanks in advance.

diverdann:
Does anyone know where I could get a color correction fitler for my camera or housing.

I have a Sony TRV-33 with Lights and Motion Top-Dog mini DV housing. I contacted Light and Motion, but they told me they did not make any filters for my housing model?"?? They told me that if I coudl fit one in, it should work. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know where I could get a custom color filter?

Thanks in advance.
Try U/R Pro, they should have it.

http://www.urprofilters.com/content.do?region=WhichFilter

diverdann:

Thanks in advance.

Rather than buy a custom filter why not just get a color correcting filter that will screw onto the front of your lens. I think your camera has a 37 mm lens. A Tiffen 812 37 mm Warming Glass Filter costs around $11 at B&H. If it doesn't give you enough correction you could stack two.

diverdann:

Thanks in advance.

I also have the TRV33. When you say "custom" do you mean you want to specify the exact color of the filter and possibly buy several for use in different waters and depths. or do you mean "custom" sized for your camera/housing?.

If the second case, you don't need custom. I have standardized on 37mm atachments for the TRV33. I bought a "step up ring" that adapts the camer's threads to 37mm and 37mm fiters are easy to find and will fit between the camera lens and the wide angle lens. So the TRV33 can use off the shelf filters as costom size is not required
You can buy a fancy "underwater" filter for UWPRO of you can buy a "FLD" filter from a camera store that is about the same thing for 1/3rd the cost both are available in 37mm size

If you mean "costom color" you can get those too. They sell what are commonly called "CC" filters (CC = Color Correction) these come in Cynan. Magenta, Yellow in densities from "10" to about "80" a CC40M is a medium density magenta filter but you can stack the filters to custom correct the light say CC10Y+CC40M. Stacking CC filters is very common in both color darkroom work and in the motion picture industry and in Studio photography. CC filters comon in Square gels from 2 inches square to very large sizes and also in round treaded screw-on filters. and as ridgid plastic square

Some people do use CC filters for UW photography. There are rules of thumb that go like "3 CC of Magenta per foot of depth". I think back in the days when they shot 16mm movie film people where more careful and used color metrers to measure the light then computed what stack of CC filters would work best.

Wow thank you all for all the info.

I meant custom as to a filter that would fit my particular housing. However, If I can get lenses to fit the camera, that has got to be the best way to go thank you so much for this information. This will save me a lot of money.

ChirsA, could you post a picture of your TRV-33 with the step up ring and filters. And could you give me a rough estimate of the parts. I think I will go shopping this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom