Custom Fins for Amputee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csmithned

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I am new to this forum and am very interested in scuba. In a motorcycle accident years ago I lost the toes off one of my feet. I get around fine walking and you can't even tell i'm partially handicapped. I had a transmetatarsal amputation. Now one foot is a few inches shorter than the other. I still have plenty of length left because I was a size 15 before. Is there a place where I could get measured for custom fins so I don't have to buy two different sizes or would that be a cheaper way to go? Do you think closed or open heel would be better to stay on me? I have been an avid swimmer my entire life and have always wanted to try scuba. I would like to get some good fins to fit me. Should I just go to a dive shop and try to buy two different sizes or have customs made somewhere? I live on the Texas coast and am about an hour from houston if that helps.

Thanks,

I would go with Open fins and you will be wearing sometype of Neo-boot's if your diving wet or attached/sock boot combo if diving dry so you shouldn't have much of an issue. At worse case maybe get a slightly smaller boot but I would think you could still fit into same size fins.

Last edited:
So I should go to the local dive shop and try on boots and a pair of closed fins? I thought boots were only for open fins?

Definitely open heel fins. You will be able to tighten them up to fit your foot. They will tighten against the top of your foot, not the toes. You can also stuff the front of the booties you wear with an open heel boot to fill the void if you feel the need. The way may patients do it!

Cool, thats what i usually do with my shoes, I stuff them with the poly fill for pillows you buy in the craft department at walmart. So I should be able to buy the same size open heel for both feet?

Oh yeah, no problem. Just go try some on and see!

You might want to try a pair of force fins. They are open heel, but also open toe so the top of your foot provides all the power. They are great fins. Very comfortable and well made. You can start with a basic model, as the others are expensive and trade your way up.

Do a lot of dive shops carry force fins or do you have to buy from their website? I am going to visit the local dive shop Monday.

Find a shop that a few different types and try them on in the water. You will get 100 different reviews on why this fin is better than that. in some cases there are truths but in the end it's what is more comfortable to you. Try as many types as your Diveshop so you can get a feel. Personally I have dove several types of fins (Splits - Scubaopro, Atomic Smoke on waters), I have used Cressi fins, Force fins "regular", Oceanic etc.. The best fins for me are the Xs scuba turtles (or Scubapro Jets). They ar plain black heavy duty fins that will work with any kicking style, they are slighlty neg so you won't get the floating feet issue or it should be minimized.

There are many things that can be done with fins. Take a look here for a history of vintage fins and at this thread on the Scoop Fin Modification that you can do yourself for a fin. The toe area of the fin is not important to its function; actually, they are more comfortable if they have good support through the arch and into the heel. There are a bunch of used Mares Plana fins that you can buy used for about $20 at most dive stores, and have fun cutting them up to make either split fins or try the scoop design. The flexible material can be either a tough sheet or rubberized nylon; I've used both and they hold up very well. Even if you don't decide to go this way, read over these threads for some good information on fins.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom