Custom lead mold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want to make 2 custom sized weights for a halycon v weight pouch. I have the lead already.

To start i have welding leathers, face mask respirator, glasses etc and dedicated melting equipment.

I'm wondering the best/cheapest way to make a one time only use mold.

For one time use, oiled sand would work. Although if you dont already have the materials it would be a lot of upfront cost. I am sure others will be along with better options!!

DW

I have heard of people using silicone molds to cast the lead, im unsure how they hold up considering most of them are rated to around 200-250C but the melting point of lead is around 330C.

There are many videos of it online as well, might be worth having a look if so many people are doing it.

But even if it will some how work out you still have the problem of being stuck with that ever shape that silicon mold is, im pretty sure you wouldn't want lead weights shaped like a teddy bear :coffee:

I have heard of people using silicone molds to cast the lead, im unsure how they hold up considering most of them are rated to around 200-250C but the melting point of lead is around 330C.

There are many videos of it online as well, might be worth having a look if so many people are doing it.

But even if it will some how work out you still have the problem of being stuck with that ever shape that silicon mold is, im pretty sure you wouldn't want lead weights shaped like a teddy bear :coffee:

Maybe I could find shark ones :)

Issue is the shape not fitting right

I put aluminum foil in the holes and at the ends of the channel of my Halcyon plate, then poured lead that I melted in a pot on the stove directly into the channel. It made a perfectly fitting eleven pound V-Weight.

I've poured some p-weights onto a halcyon backplate as well, i used aluminium tape to cover holes and create barriers to ends. I've also used wood as mould, works for couple of times for extra endurance use aluminium foil or tape layer on top. When i used wood mold i threw the whole thing into a big bucket of water for faster cooling after a while (not sure if smart or not)

Be careful when working with lead, do not breathe in the fumes and don't burn yourself

I was going to suggest exactly what @MaxBottomtime suggested. You can lay a few layers of aluminum foil in the channel (with a barrier at the ends of course) and simply pour there... then you have a perfectly shaped weight... Not totally sure if it would fit in a V Pouch though.

Hardwood would work for a couple of these.

Dried modelling clay would be even easier and should hold. At least according to YouTube :)

Speaking as a former commercial bullet caster, lead is actually pretty safe to work with if you use common sense. Lead fumes aren't a problem unless you somehow get the pot temperature to rise several hundred degrees (F) over the metal's melting point. But you still want to work in a well-ventilated area because of possible fumes from fluxes and alloys or contaminants in your metal. Inhalation and ingestion of lead dust and particles are potential issues if you shape your weights after molding, so wear a dust mask and clean your hands, clothes and work area carefully after you are done.

Given that normally divers are really cautious regarding health issues, yes, I suggest to use the same caution when working with lead. It is not instantly a huge hazard, true. But especially of you do it often, there are more healthy things in life than casting lead weights in an improvised fashion.

I have used plaster of Paris for lead molds. It will make a number of casting before getting too damaged from use. Be SURE it's completely dried out (a couple hours baking in a hot oven is a good idea) before using it or steam explosions can happen. Flying hot lead is not a fun thing to be around.

Back
Top Bottom