Custom lead mold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used plaster of Paris for lead molds. It will make a number of casting before getting too damaged from use. Be SURE it's completely dried out (a couple hours baking in a hot oven is a good idea) before using it or steam explosions can happen. Flying hot lead is not a fun thing to be around.
Ah... that brings back memories of experiments past... nothing like the effect of hot lead on damp plaster.

I like the idea of lining the plate with foil. If you want to make them to bolt into place, put stainless steel bolts through the holes with a nut on either side so the head of the bolt will be embedded into the weight. Disclaimer: this is an idea I have not tried.

I welded some moulds up in some scrap stainless (mild steel would work too). If you have an angle grinder and welder it is cheap and easy.

I have a welder but not much scrap steel.

I might try the plaster of Paris thing. I have scrap wood and its pretty cheap.

Just make sure it's DRY and you have enough draft angle on the mold so the lead will come out. Remember, the lead will shrink a little in size below the mold as it cools.

Just make sure it's DRY and you have enough draft angle on the mold so the lead will come out. Remember, the lead will shrink a little in size below the mold as it cools.

I plan to make the mold, let it dry, bake it at low temp. Let it cool and then bake at high temp.

What do you mean by draft angle I thought it was just level the mold and then pour and let it cool?

Ah... that brings back memories of experiments past... nothing like the effect of hot lead on damp plaster.

I like the idea of lining the plate with foil. If you want to make them to bolt into place, put stainless steel bolts through the holes with a nut on either side so the head of the bolt will be embedded into the weight. Disclaimer: this is an idea I have not tried.
I wrapped pencils with aluminum foil and stuck them in the holes before pouring the lead. Surprisingly, the pencils didn't burn.

Halcyon Dive Systems

Its to make lead to fill one of these because I'm to to cheap and to bored to buy soft weights.
Can't you just directly fill the pouches with lead shot? I've got a different brand pouch knocking about which holds the shot secure without leaks. I would've thought the H will as well.

Can't you just directly fill the pouches with lead shot? I've got a different brand pouch knocking about which holds the shot secure without leaks. I would've thought the H will as well.

I could but I don't any lead shot and it is very expensive. Plus as I said I'm bored in semi retirement so I figured since I have lead from bullet casting and a ruler why not have some fun.

I could but I don't any lead shot and it is very expensive. Plus as I said I'm bored in semi retirement so I figured since I have lead from bullet casting and a ruler why not have some fun.
Fair enough. Satisfying to personally make something rather than shop bought as well.

Don't forget to post photos when you're done!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom