custom made logbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rameus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hey guys

since i have seen quite a few logbooks over the past few years and none of them really fit me i decided to do my own. check the latest article about this logbook template and find the link to the PDF download in there, too.

please let me know what you think about the template and feel free to use it if you want to. if you print it duplex it should fit so you can hole-punch it and put it into a typical logbook the size padi sells. it is a rather purist approach but at least i have all the information about the dive in one place.

thom

It's nice and clean. Only remarks are:
pounds are usually abbreviated lbs
And perhaps Wetsuit could be changed to simply Suit or Exposure Protection, for those changing between wetsuits and dry suits (ie. varying undergarments).

Other than that, my locale doesn't really exhibit current that you might relate to in a tropical setting. Usually I hand write "Conditions" and jot underneath it whether there was swell, how murky was the water clarity, if there were surface waves or not etc etc.
So the Current box may not be all encompassing.

It's nice and clean. Only remarks are:
pounds are usually abbreviated lbs
And perhaps Wetsuit could be changed to simply Suit or Exposure Protection, for those changing between wetsuits and dry suits (ie. varying undergarments).

Other than that, my locale doesn't really exhibit current that you might relate to in a tropical setting. Usually I hand write "Conditions" and jot underneath it whether there was swell, how murky was the water clarity, if there were surface waves or not etc etc.
So the Current box may not be all encompassing.

thanks for these inputs! i adjusted the points with lbs and the suit so people can choose how they want to write that down. besides that i made some minor changes to the types of dives there are. there is just "fun" or "training" now.

the other things you mentioned: i see your point and will have figure out a way to get this information in, too.

thom

I would differentiate between dive spot and dive location. Lots of places have different names for spots depending on the dive operator and several locations may very well have the same name

not trying to be overly critical, just helpful:

1. If you are going to provide nitrox and trimix as options, I suggest changing "air" to "gas" (except where referring actually to air) and providing a place to specify %helium.

2. Divespot, Safetystop, Divetype and Triptype are each two words

3. perhaps providing more detail than just time/depth such as average depth, multi-level depths and times, surface interval and pressure groups

4. instead of yes/no for safety stop, add a line to specify safety stop depth and duration, or perhaps multiple stops (I am guessing since you are including trimix, then you might be doing tech dives)

4. I would add have a bigger remarks section to describe all the cool things you see

I personally prefer simplicity over force feeding me on every box.

So for the Conditions/Current. Just have an empty box labeled Conditions.
For Air, just simply Gas with Air/Mix in the box. We can circle one and then write down our mix if need be.
Air In/Out can simply be written In/Out (PSI/BAR).

If you try to be real specific you'll either
A) Have a very universal encompassing log book thats also confusing and crowded
B) Not cater to everyone's dive plan.

Be a little vague but encompassing. Have a box to steer us in the right direction, but for specifics let the diver fill that part out.

What is the protocol for visitors to the US or to areas dominated by American and European scuba operations who present logbooks that are organized and written in their language? We Americans expect dive operations all over the world to be familiar with our certifications and related written materials. As global economic conditions change and evolve it is inevitable that increasing numbers of tourists will have documents written in in Arabic, Urdu, Hindi, Chinese, Russian Cyrillic and other systems. What happens when they present a logbook written in a way that is totally incomprehensible to the staff of most US/European dive operations?

Most people speak/understand more than one language and English continues to be the lingua franca. Only North Americans speak only one language (and that poorly), even my taxi driver in Kuwait spoke/understood 8-9 languages. We assume that English will be spoken/understood by everyone and speaking louder will help others understand what we are saying.:)

This is what I use for work. I print it out as a whole page with graph paper on the other side so I can either draw something on the back or use it to write a more detailed report if needed. Then I just punch holes in it and keep them in a three ring binder.

SCAN0035.jpg

Back
Top Bottom