Custom straps for Mares Quattro+ fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zai.gezundt

Contributor
Reaction score
Inspired by: Side Mount Scuba Diving - Steve Martin
His main problem with original straps is that large handle snags when diving in caves. I don't have issue with that on account of rarely doing cave diving but two things annoy me:
  • Original strap is too tight even after using included plastic extenders. To screw them on was a major pain.
  • The handle has a tendency to slide along the strap when fining hard.
Steve's solution is great but it requires specialized clamping tool and, in case of bungee failure, difficult to replace. Also it requires removing small plastic lock on the pin so that bungee fits around the pin snugly.

Instead I used original plastic buckles, 3/4" SS 316 rings, 3/16" shock cord and vinyl tube with 3/8" inner diameter. I am not sure vinyl's ability to withstand prolonged exposure to sun and sea water but time will tell.

P.S. I still have 4 unused SS rings and plenty of vinyl tubing if anybody is interested.

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 215
  • fin.jpg
    fin.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 210
I made a couple pairs of bungee straps for our Mares Quattro fins that are a derivative of your derivative. Incorporating the stainless steel ring into the existing post buckle was a stroke brilliance on your part. I ended up using 1/4 inch bungee because that’s all we had in our dive supplies, so the result is super heavy duty.

A0901B1A-535D-419C-8188-2F1F0B5C7DAB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom