Custom Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that due to the material or the fit of the suit?

The 3mm material is very flexible and the leg and arm zippers make it easy to get on and off. The material and workmanship is holding up well.

Mine is cold because it fits very poorly. Even after being sent back for alterations with pictures of the problem areas and confirmation of the measurements.
The fit of my suit is quite good. The problem is I was sold on the idea that the neoprene is so warm that I don't need a 7mm suit for S Calif diving and was convinced to go with a 5mm jumpsuit with a 5 mm shortie. That should make 10 mm over the torso.

On top of that their suits come with huge zippers with a rubber lining. Again these zippers are a big mistake. To make a long story short I have a very cold wetsuit, really not suitable for 58 degree water. My old 7mm wetsuit is warmer that this one.

I don't want to malign the company but I would advise anyone not in Florida not to use them.

I have a 7mm core/5mm sleeve 1 piece jump suit. I'd never dive a thinner suit in 58 degree water....

I bought a 3mm wetwear custom suit for my wife. We got all the options they offered, and I think it was $600-$700.. I'd have to check my bank records to be sure.

We were also very disappointed with how warm it kept her. Not suitable for diving in 72f springs comfortably. After 1/2 hour in the spring water she's calling the dive because she is cold and looks like she might have mild hypothermia. I can't imagine someone trying to wear one of the wetwear suits in California. That's definitely a no-go.

We went to the wetwear shop to get measured and fitted in person. Then we went down to try it on before taking delivery, and everyone (shop included) said it was a great fit. I mention that because every time someone mentions a suit not being warm enough they immediately go to poor fit.

In short, the wetwear suit looks great and is comfortable. The material seems more flexible than my scubapro wetsuit, although much less flexible than the lavacore that I prefer to wear. However, the wetwear suit lacks in warmth. She's planning to sit out the dives (if I don't get her another suit) during our next trip to the spring Scubaboard Megadive event.

I bought a 3mm wetwear custom suit for my wife. We got all the options they offered, and I think it was $600-$700.. I'd have to check my bank records to be sure.

We were also very disappointed with how warm it kept her. Not suitable for diving in 72f springs comfortably. After 1/2 hour in the spring water she's calling the dive because she is cold and looks like she might have mild hypothermia. I can't imagine someone trying to wear one of the wetwear suits in California. That's definitely a no-go.

We went to the wetwear shop to get measured and fitted in person. Then we went down to try it on before taking delivery, and everyone (shop included) said it was a great fit. I mention that because every time someone mentions a suit not being warm enough they immediately go to poor fit.

In short, the wetwear suit looks great and is comfortable. The material seems more flexible than my scubapro wetsuit, although much less flexible than the lavacore that I prefer to wear. However, the wetwear suit lacks in warmth. She's planning to sit out the dives (if I don't get her another suit) during our next trip to the spring Scubaboard Megadive event.

I agree. The Wetwear neoprene is actually quite soft and comfortable. And I don't think it has much more insulating properties than regular neoprene, certainly not enough to justify using 5 mm instead of a 7. Also using layers of neoprene is not as warm as the same thickness of one piece neoprene because cold water gets in between the layers.

I also think the Wetwear stitching is a problem, because I noticed that when I pour water into my Wetwear wetsuit the water seeps out through the stiching, more than what I've seen in other wetsuits.

And the third issue is the long zippers they use on the arms and legs. In spite of what they say, these do let water into the suit and make the suit colder.

I am ordering a custom Wetwear womens 3 ml frontzip jumpsuit soon. Connie was great help and suggested that I put my concerns on Scubaboard. I dive only shallow and in the Keys during the summer months. I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with taking a frontzip jumpsuit off when wet.

I own a Wetwear suit and haven't experienced any problems with it. I don't understand blaming the neoprene when some people's problems is the wrong thickness for the water temps they're diving.

I also own a Wetwear. Fits like a glove but I had it fitted in person and came back for a second fitting before taking delivery. The neoprene is not unusually stiff. I do, however, agree that I do not find it significantly warmer than comparably thick suits that fit well. I had wanted a 5mm and they advised me to get a 3mm because of the greater comfort/flexibility and insisted that it would be at least as warm as a standard 5mm. I told them that I have never been too warm in a wetsuit and that I hate being cold. They insisted that 3mm was plenty for low to mid 70s. I would not dream diving a 3mm in those temps but I took the advice and found out the hard way. When the water gets below 77 I get cold. 72 is absolute torture for me (very little fat). I still like the suit. It is so easy to put on and I don't feel that the super long zippers let more water enter the suit because of the sleek rubber backing that effectively acts like a seal. Next time I will get a 5mm. It will naturally be somewhat less flexible than a thinner suit but I am not concerned about it being a problem under water. And putting the suit on or off with their super long zippers is an absolute pleasure. Takes no time at all, zero struggle and everyone else on the boat watches with envy as they fight their way into their suits.

I am ordering a custom Wetwear womens 3 ml frontzip jumpsuit soon. Connie was great help and suggested that I put my concerns on Scubaboard. I dive only shallow and in the Keys during the summer months. I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with taking a frontzip jumpsuit off when wet.
No issues. All of my wetsuits have been front zip. The first N were shorty style with a zipper that split the left leg and came diagonally up to my throat.

I currently have a wetwear 3mm full length suit with front zipper from crotch to throat. no issues getting it off.

Seems like most of the posters ordered 3 mil suits from Wetwear. It is not surprising that a thin suit would be flexible, but 7 mil is different.
Suits that are easy to get on and off are just not going to restrict water flow enough to stay warm on long dives when the temps are 60 degrees or less. Wherever there is a zipper, you are going to have some water intrusion.

I have a custom M&B 7 mil farmer john, attached hood, skin-in suit. The raw neoprene on the inside makes it a bear to get in and out of, but that, plus a front zipper that doesn't start until the upper abdomen, makes it a very warm suit. I've been comfortable in 48 degree water.

A 3 mill with lots of long zippers is going to let in more water, but that is probably an acceptable trade off in warm water. It isn't in cold water.

Back
Top Bottom