Customer Service expectations

Am I unreasonable?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as it is not something that is important or something you really need, why worry about it?

It's a non-essential, toy right?

If you took a car into a dealer under warranty (after you scheduled the appointment several days in advance) and after drop off, they indicated that they don't have time to look at it for a few weeks.. that should be fine as well, I guess?

They were honest about the reason, and you actually spoke with someone. That's saying something.

If the light is a critical component.... which I'm assuming as you are cave diving it is..... it would make sense to me to n+1 redundancy on critical equipment.

Instead of being frustrated and letting someone else control your situation, take control of it the situation and buy another. After DEMA ends you will get it replaced and have your n+1. If you can't afford it at the moment... then yes, your expectations are too high and you should increase your flexibility.

@markmud do you really think that's a fair comparison?
Shearwater has dedicated repair centers, dedicated customer service reps that handle warranty issues, and a dedicated marketing team responsible for dealing with DEMA
Light Monkey has like 4 employees, only one or two of which are qualified to look at a warranty repair and are the same people that are solely responsible for getting ready for DEMA. Light Monkey is usually very good about getting repairs sorted out and it's not unheard of them to fix your light while you wait if you drop in while in cave country.

I think the lack of communication until he emailed a week after it had been delivered which then said it wouldn't be ready until the week after DEMA is unacceptable on their part, but at the same time I don't think it's unreasonable that something that is going to take 2-4 hours to diagnose and repair the week before DEMA gets put on the back burner unless it came in with a note that said I really need it.

The actual issue in your posts indicate you are unhappy with their timeline, rather than the company fulfilling your definition of customer service.

• setting a repair date;

Would you consider it poor customer service if the company had given you a specific date that was after DEMA?

• fulfilling a previously made and binding contractual obligation before going to a trade show, and,

Do you have a written binding contract from the company explaining they would or would not look at or fix your light before prepping and attending DEMA? You compared a timeline with Shearwater. Did you double check to see if there is a time of year, such as DEMA, in which Shearwater would or may not be able to meet the turn-around mentioned in your post in order to get an accurate comparison?

• fulfilling a previously made and binding contractual obligation before going to a trade show

Are you suggesting the company should postpone (maybe just one employee to cover warranty - whether or not they have enough people to cover the floor at the show which brings in the greatest number of sales) the arrival date to please you - one person? If they did that, what would you do for them to compensate for the cost of rearranging travel as well as the potential loss of publicity and sales?

As long as it is not something that is important or something you really need, why worry about it?

It's a non-essential, toy right?

If you took a car into a dealer under warranty (after you scheduled the appointment several days in advance) and after drop off, they indicated that they don't have time to look at it for a few weeks.. that should be fine as well, I guess?

if you drop off a restomod the week before concours at a classic car shop, that pretty much is what happens. the canister light market is small and more on the enthusiast end. you can't compare it to dropping off a civic or returning an iphone where there is a large corporation and infrastructure backing things.

Only one data point here, but when I sent a flooded can light back to Light Monkey they got back to me within, if I recall, a couple of weeks--I didn't tell them it was urgent or pester them. In my mind, two weeks is a reasonable amount of time for a company like that. The light was unrepairable, but I was impressed with the customer service anyway. Mind you, it was not DEMA season as far as I can recall.

Shearwater receives kudos for having a set turn-around time for warranty and service issues. I believe it is one week. They arrange loners for people who are about to leave on a trip. That's customer service. One of the owners of Shearwater manages warranty turn-around herself (I got that from the owner, in person).

Shearwater has dedicated repair centers, dedicated customer service reps that handle warranty issues, and a dedicated marketing team responsible for dealing with DEMA

When the guy who runs Dive Tronix was gong on vacation, he was very clear that any computers would need to arrive a couple of days ahead of time to be repaired before he left. Now Shearwater said loaners were available if I couldn't make the cut off.

The key difference was the communication, I knew full well when that was happened from the moment the RMA was with Shearwater and Dive Tronix.

if you drop off a restomod the week before concours at a classic car shop, that pretty much is what happens. the canister light market is small and more on the enthusiast end. you can't compare it to dropping off a civic or returning an iphone where there is a large corporation and infrastructure backing things.

We are talking about a flashlight, aren't we????????????????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom