Customer Service expectations

Am I unreasonable?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you call that "good" customer service? It sounds like the extent of the communication is a warrantied product shipped back after 4-6 weeks?

I think understanding the bigger picture is important here...how many customers there are sending product in relative to the amount of people processing the product which is the bottleneck. The volume of business that company did and continues to do, along with the distribution of their products in the market (not just in the US but internationally) and the time they have been in business, should be considered. They do a lifetime warranty program which is very subjective and in turn creates a lot of coverage over a long period of time. It is a very large, recognizable outdoor company and we are talking about seamstresses repairing zippers, fabric on garments, stitching, etc. Total replacements are obviously a lot easier to process - if it can’t be fixed you can likely just tell the customer that and either send them a replacement or reach out and extend a discount on a new one depending on the extent of the claim or situation/useful life, etc.

While LM might not be doing the volume that this company does, I think keeping in mind that your particular item or product is not the only one being sent in is important. Yeah, there are some companies that do an exceptional job of what the OP wants despite the volume and scope but is it the standard that all other companies should have and abide by? Sure, to strive for it and have that be your ultimate goal...It sure would be nice but it isn’t always feasible or realistic to expect that from every company. Let the companies that can do that shine but I can’t say I would fault a company for the timeline the OP described.

Would the company have been better off just posting that all repairs/replacements will take 4-6 weeks, to set expectations beforehand?

Would the company have been better off just posting that all repairs/replacements will take 4-6 weeks, to set expectations beforehand?

Perhaps. I’m not sure how often they do receive warranty or customer service returns so maybe they don’t usually have an issue or feel like it needs to be stated. Maybe this was an anomaly. Either way...It’s always nice to under-promise and then over-deliver.

Can't the battery be replaced by randomguy? Do you folk have to send in a canister flashlight to get a new battery?

Perhaps. I’m not sure how often they do receive warranty or customer service returns so maybe they don’t usually have an issue or feel like it needs to be stated. Maybe this was an anomaly. Either way...It’s always nice to under-promise and then over-deliver.

Except, sometimes, when something is being delivered...

I ordered a MacBook Air. Apple said it would ship in 4-6 weeks and since it was coming up on the holidays, I had it shipped to an Apple Store in San Diego, where I'd be in 4 weeks. Three days later, Apple said it was ready for pickup in San Diego. I was still in San Francisco. I asked if it could be re-routed to SF in a few days. Nope. I would need to cancel the order and reorder, and again, with a promise of 4-6 weeks... and having two MacBook Air's on the credit card, as the refund for the first one would take a few weeks clear. I told them I could pick it up in San Diego in three weeks. Sorry, they will only hold for 18 days, then it's automatically cancelled and refunded. I basically left for San Diego early and picked it up on the 18th hold day. What a hassle that was.

This is what happens to a company that stands behind its products and respects its customers:

Shearwater's hiring!

They grow to the point where they are continually hiring people into high paying jobs.

Yes, the company should do that but they won't. Customers would see that notice and cancel their order, and then purchase from a company who supports its customers and stands behind their products. A company who has a 4-6 week warranty service policy set by the board of directors and president is only interested in selling product, not in producing or providing quality products to its customers.

The Marlboro Man was interviewed. He quit smoking because he was on a helicopter with Marlboro execs. They were shooting a commercial. The Marlboro Man offered some smokes to the execs. The execs all in unison replied: "We don't smoke that sh*t, we just sell it."

Why does a company have a 4-6 week warranty turn-around for its products? "We don't stand behind our products, we just sell the sh*t."

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom