Customs and clearing for shipping to Canada costs on Deep 6 gear???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. Have any fellow Canadians ordered from Deep6? If so, what additional charges did you encounter?
I am hesitant as I do not know what additional expenses will be incurred besides HST.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Looking at BP/W this year and probably reg set next year.

Thanks
Al

For any package shipped into Canada (dive related or other)....If you get package couriered (e.g., UPS, FedEx, etc.), there will be additional costs (brokerage fee, say an extra $9 to $20) and possibly duty. If shipping into Canada, use USPS (government postal service), which means package will be shipped by Canada Post once it enters Canada. No brokerage fee. May have to pay duty, but only if package gets inspected by Border Services Agency. In my experience, less likely to be inspected if shipped by regular post, as opposed to priority or express post (or courier). Note, none of these cost are the "fault" of the dive company.

Important thing is to get shipped by USPS in my view. You have to live with duty. On average, I get caught up with duty about 10% of time. Averaged across all shipments, I can live with it.

Here's a few generalization:

No matter what business you shop with in the USA and ship to Canada you'll have guaranteed and potential fees. To avoid this some of us use an USA shipping address and pick up things across the border to save the higher cost of international shipping. Roughly 2x or 3x the cost of shipping within the states.

Odd are 1\10 of randomly getting selected for import fees in my experience. No official number of course. I'd recommend counting on paying tax and maybe an extra 20-60$ of handling fees. If you don't get charged (or choose to voluntarily comply) you'll save these import fees.

Unfortunately as far as I know Deep6 doesn't ship with USPS. I had to choose UPS as a shipping option to Toronto,Canada when I purchased Deep6 Regulators and paid a hefty brokerage fee . UPS Brokerage fees are based on chosen shipping option / total amount of your order. You can look up brokerage fee breakdown online at UPS website

I have ordered a few times from them.

They are very good about sending the package via USPS, so no outrageous brokerage fees.

Just possibly HST and the $10 "service" fee customs tacks on.

We ship via USPS, UPS, and Fedex, although we use Fedex rarely. If anyone calls or emails before ordering we usually suggest they use USPS for Canada as it comes out to be less expensive overall since Canada Post handles the last leg.

I believe other customers have posted their experience with various shipping methods to Canada above and they are inline with what I have heard back. Chris is actually Canadian so you can message him if you have more specific questions as he would know more than I.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom