Cutting a steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mute point

If and when your cut a SCUBA tank in two pieces have a plan in place as to what to do with both haves of the tank.
Whatever is decided do not waste one half of the cut tank

SDM

“Moot”

If you KNOW it's empty - a plasma cutter will make quick work of any cuts you need to make. A garage/metal fabricator will have one.

Plasma cutting is a process that cuts through electrically conductive materials by means of an accelerated jet of hot plasma. Typical materials cut with a plasma torch include steel, Stainless steel, aluminum, brass and copper, although other conductive metals may be cut as well.

@txgoose, If it were mine (this is not a suggestion) I would heat the neck of the tank with an oxy/acetylene torch using a slightly reducing flame. MAPP gas would work too. Get it smoking hot and squirt a low viscosity oil around the threads. Wait a bit then hit the valve body with an engineer's hammer. I don't mean gently either...

YMMV.

A rubber tipped air nozzle and shoot a little air into the valve. Pull the tip away. You should get a few seconds of air venting out the valve. At this point you know the valve is indeed open and the tank is vented.

“Moot”

That's actually a common misconception. It's actually a "Moo" point. It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.

That's actually a common misconception. It's actually a "Moo" point. It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.

Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom