• Knife

Votes: 99 75.0%
  • Scissors

Votes: 64 48.5%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 13 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by doll_fins
I dive in cold water :eek: - are the finger holes on the EMS shears roomy enough to fit thick-gloved fingers?

The holes in the regular sized shears are pretty large. I think they would work with thick gloves. Especially since, IIRC, you're female and probably don't have huge hands to begin with. I wouldn't recommend the mini-shears for use with gloves unless you have really small hands.

I have several tools in my tool box. I generaly take any two on a dive depending what is involved.

6" knife
Z-Knife or line cutter
Rescue shears
Leatherman

I would like to try the new OMS shears, they are supposed to cut cable nicely.

The only one I have needed in an emergency was something to cut small braided cable, I didn't have the leatherman which ment i needed to remove all my gear in the confines of a small passage way inside a wreck. since then i have used the leatherman as it holds up to the rust well.

the OMS shears if not to big look good for this

I carry a 6in. leg knife and a small BC mounted knife on my dives, but I'd like to get a pair of trauma sheers b/c those things will cut through just about anything.

I carry both a shears and a knife. We occasionally run into down rigger cable around here. The shears will cut them like butter. I use my knife more as a tool then a cutting intrument. However It cuts well if called upon.

EMT Shears and a small knife on the waistband. Love the EMT Shears. The OMS ones look funny and to big.

Eric

I use a line cutter, in the next future will probably buy also the oms shears

Another vote for shears. =-)

They are commonly available at medical supply houses around here - for those who asked where to get them.

The only problem is that the sheaths are a bit harder to come by, so if you want the sheaths too you'd be better off buying them through an on-line scuba merchant - most carry them. And, of course, your favorite LDS will probably have them too.

Uncle Pug had a great hint about using the clear plastic tubing to keep them closed. Then, they can easily hang from a snap hook clipped to a harness D-ring. :wink:

Rich

I always carry a knife and will sometimes add EMT shears.

I used to carry a multi-tool with me underwater but I kept having problems with it rusting to the point that it ceased to function.

If you spray your knife, shears, etc with a coating of clear Rustoleum, you will have very few rust problems.

Back
Top Bottom