• Knife

Votes: 99 75.0%
  • Scissors

Votes: 64 48.5%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 13 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMT shears in a sheath w/lanyard hung off a D-ring and a folding titanium dive knife in a sheath hung from my BCD's belt.

If you carry nothing else, I'd want my buddy to have shears. They cut entanglement hazards such as rope in no time and they are less risky to be using near you or your buddy's gear, no sharp tip or exposed blade to damage gear. They are more versatile as a safety tool IMO (I would welcome other's views on this); the knife is more of a treasure hunter's tool if you're in the mud or sand digging and the blunt tip is nice as a screwdriver when needed.

I carry my shears on my BC cummerbund and a blunt tipped knife on the outside of my left BC pocket, both in easy reach. I have considered moving the shears higher into the golden triangle but I've got a long reach and there is enough mission critical stuff there now.

I'm sure cavers and the Men in Black would have more to say about cutting devices. I'm met divers with four cutting devices and two in the golden triangle within easy reach of left or right hand in case of heavy entanglement. Next knife purchase would probably be one with an edge that can cut metal wire/pipe...

k4sdi once bubbled...
I used to dive with a blade, kept poking myself with it though......... Used to always think that EMT shears were kinda wimpy, till I saw the "cut a penny in half trick". Now thats all I carry!

Mark

Need to add a "Both knife and shears" category to the poll.
I saw that ad with the penny. Had to try it and see AND, they quite easily cut a penny in half. I have a small blunt tip knife, with the sheath on a permanent atachment to my BC (no forgetting it) and often clip on the shears, but haven't yet found a great place/method of carrying them.

divedude once bubbled...
I use shears and a knife... Why??
Here's a test for you all take a 10' length of 20 lb test teflon fishing line go under water then try to cut it free with a knife
or some stainless wire fishing line.
After the test.... I bet you go buy a pair of shears :D
Fishing line is the most common intanglement, at least it is here wreck diving.

My knife has a nice "notch" on the back with a sharp edge, that hooks nicely onto fishing line and goes through it quite easily. Requires less aiming than shears. Get the blade against the line on that side of the blade and pull. That said, cuts more easily when it's under tension and I frequently carry shears also. Still seeking a better sheath/location for the shears.

Kent

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

Need to add a "Both knife and shears" category to the poll.
I saw that ad with the penny. Had to try it and see AND, they quite easily cut a penny in half. I have a small blunt tip knife, with the sheath on a permanent atachment to my BC (no forgetting it) and often clip on the shears, but haven't yet found a great place/method of carrying them.

I had to try the penny thing when I first got my shears too. I was quite amazed at how easy it was.

Being the proud new owner of an attached drysuit pocket as of last night (yay!) I've added a second set of shears to my kit in lieu of a knife. I cut about 5" of 5/8" clear PVC tubing left over from the spring strap debacle, punched a hole in one end, and ziptied a bolt snap on. The PVC is just the right size to use as a mini-scabbard for the shears.

Two tips:

1. Even though the shears are stainless, the hinge pin is not - smear some silicon grease on it on both sides. It WILL rust.

2. Buy the shears from the local hardware shop instead of an LDS - I bought my last pair for $8.50 from Ace Hardware, versus $18 at an LDS. At least the LDS ones come with a webbing pouch, but the hardware shop is a good source of replacement shears should you lose a pair or need a second pair.

www.galls.com has shears for 2.99 to 3.99 (depending on size)but the savings might be negated by shipping.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom