cutting line off of entagled animals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was sort of joking about that part. The rest, not.

N

We use flat jaw, thick electrician pliers to get the big hooks out of the sharks that are trailing fishing line. Bring them in slowly near the chum crate and clamp down on the hook with a twist and it will usually come right out.

Hi, not talking about hooks from sharks, I'll leave that to trained individuals. But I would help any other creature. Do you have recommendations for them? Thanks

That can cover a lot different diameter and materials, and what cuts one may not do to well on another. I carry a Trilobite line cutter, shears, and knife because they can cut any entanglement that I, my buddy, or a sea creature is likely to run into where I dive. I have been known to add other implements of destruction as necessary for specific dive plans where issues outside the usual might be encountered.

I would use the most benign cutting tool, line cutter, first and work from there. If it's use a knife or nothing, I try to be careful.

Bob

I would imagine there is a lot of manipulation to cut something free. So opportunities to drop the tool. Can you attach the Trilobite to a retractor or your wrist?

That can cover a lot different diameter and materials, and what cuts one may not do to well on another. I carry a Trilobite line cutter, shears, and knife because they can cut any entanglement that I, my buddy, or a sea creature is likely to run into where I dive. I have been known to add other implements of destruction as necessary for specific dive plans where issues outside the usual might be encountered.

I would use the most benign cutting tool, line cutter, first and work from there. If it's use a knife or nothing, I try to be careful.

Bob

I would imagine there is a lot of manipulation to cut something free. So opportunities to drop the tool. Can you attach the Trilobite to a retractor or your wrist?

Male turtles will have longer thicker tails if they are at sexual maturity. Males will also have longer curved claws on front flippers for holding on to female shell. If they are juvenile it is almost impossible to tell from appearance.

Thanks for the ID help!!

The idea is to use as little manipulation as possible by using the right tool. And have a plan before approaching the creature. Also maintain your tools and keep them sharp, nothing worse than finding out your cutting tool(s) is useless when you finally need it.

Although I have a bungee lanyard, that goes around my wrist, on some tools, on most I use the "don't drop the f'n thing" method on most. The problem with having a tool attached, especially the retractor, is it can become part of the entanglement rendering it, possibly you, useless. Not dropping a tool, from my experience, is a matter of focus. My motto is I collect dive gear, I don't drop any by accident. Works good so far.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom