Cutting tool: Best value for money ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, thank you to all for the very useful advice.

I just ordered an Eezycut Trilobite and Dive Rite Titanium Shears. I guess I will find out on my own if they tend to rust or not. I intend to store them on my webbing within easy reach of both my hands.

As being entangled might potentially lead to a life or death situation, I don't mind paying a bit more, even if I end up never ever using them.

It's like having a fire extinguisher at home.

:)
Don't forget to use silicone grease on the stainless steel. I assume you know that, but I figured I better say something just in case.

I don't know, but I would bet someone on here has tried replacing the pin with something better. Anyone? I also seem to recall at least one person in a previous thread saying that they consider EMT shears disposable and simply replace them frequently. Seems wasteful to me.

EMT shears ARE single use, disposable, not to be reused cutting devices. They're not designed, built, or sold as multi-episode cutting devices. As I said before, its not just the pin that deteriorates, but also the cutting edges..

Those advocating this approach might be named "Ginzu" and have warehouses full of steak knives looking to be repurposed?
I like the feel and look of a knife strapped on the inside of the left calve--the only place a self respecting knife should be placed on a wetsuit-clad diver.

I have to disagree. I always wear my BFK on the outside of my calf. Always have, always will. It only gets caught on the kelp about once a dive. Maybe twice. It just doesn't feel right on the inside. :wink:

I dive with an Aqualung Squeeze Lock and Trilobite. Honestly, I haven't needed them often, but like @Roger Hobden said, it's like having a fire extinguisher at home; you'll be dang happy you have it when you need it.

I use my Trilobite for most cutting because it's so easy, but obviously it can't do everything, so I carry both.

I'm curious what you mean by "go bad." Rust? I rinse mine after every salt water exposure, and they look fine. Am I missing something here?
Not rust. I clean and coat all of my cutters with silicone after every dive. Shears get dull fast, they twist when you try to cut (although part of that may be that I am left handed), the pin in the center gets loose or breaks, etc.

Now admittedly, I use them in extreme situations, but just due to my experience they are just not up to task and I will not rely on them in an emergency.

Not rust. I clean and coat all of my cutters with silicone after every dive. Shears get dull fast, they twist when you try to cut (although part of that may be that I am left handed), the pin in the center gets loose or breaks, etc.

Now admittedly, I use them in extreme situations, but just due to my experience they are just not up to task and I will not rely on them in an emergency.

It's interesting how EMT shears are getting such a bad rap in this thread. Just a few years ago, when someone asked what is the best inexpensive cutting device to carry, it seemed like everyone was recommending shears over a knife. Mine are still holding up, as I mentioned, but they rarely see use, and I have never used them to cut anything more substantial than thin monofilament fishing line and cave line. Perhaps shears were not a bad solution at one time but have now lost out to the Eezycut Trilobyte and similar devices.

It's interesting how EMT shears are getting such a bad rap in this thread. Just a few years ago, when someone asked what is the best inexpensive cutting device to carry, it seemed like everyone was recommending shears over a knife. Mine are still holding up, as I mentioned, but they rarely see use, and I have never used them to cut anything more substantial than thin monofilament fishing line and cave line. Perhaps shears were not a bad solution at one time but have now lost out to the Eezycut Trilobyte and similar devices.
Are trilobyte type cutting tools new? I only found out about them when I embarked upon cave training a few years ago. Maybe it's a case of there being a better option available now. Or maybe it's just a matter of those who have posted in this thread leaning one way instead of another.

I do own some shears, but I stopped carrying them as I never found myself using them. Same with a regular dive knife.

I also find this interesting. However, I question if there is any alternative to shears (in general, not just the EMT type) for diving in areas steel fishing line is a hazard. I don't think there is. I am a fan of Trilobyte-style line cutters, but they are limited in what they can cut.

I don't think there's really been enough responses to draw a conclusion either way yet. So far, I think Chairman and I are the only ones who feel strongly against shears.

And, frankly, my uses are not normal. I am constantly cutting myself out of things in 0 vis, from trout nets to fishing line to tarps to you name it. Also, I'm left handed, which makes using any kind of shears frustrating under the best of circumstance (above or below water).

Also, another plug for the eezycut. I can wave mine all around my valves and hoses in 0 vis without fear of cutting into one, with reasonable care. That is not true of your typical z knife.

ph-10047.jpg

This is from the Boca Grande cleanup. Some oldtimers may recognize the guy to the Left. This is where I gave up on shears.

Some of you may even know the guy on the Right, but I'd put down a cash reward if anyone could recognize him :)

I would be happy to carry shears if someone can recommend a source. The last pair I bought , which were advertised as suitable for diving, literally fell apart after just a week of diving in Roatan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom