Cyklon 300 with Zeagle OctoZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoctorBob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an older Poseidon Cyklon 300, from around 1980. Had it serviced recently after it lay dormant for a number of years. Works just fine.
I just bought a new BC from Zeagle with an OctoZ. Now I know that the Cyklon 1st stage has a higher intermediate pressure than most other 2nd stages are designed for. So my question is will the OctoZ work with the Poseidon 1st stage? (I have hooked it up and it seems to work) And are there any problems with this set up? What are the potential problems and disadvantages of going this way? Have read a little on the board here about mixing poseidon 1st stages with other 2nd stages and have heard numerous opinions on the matter ranging from don't do it to should work no problem. So any thoughts? Would appreciate any info, especially from any Poseidon folks who might be hanging around here.
Thanks

Bob

Dear Bob.

My name is Jörgen Nilsson and I'm the Quality manager at Poseidon Diving Systems AB in Sweden.

The answer to your question all comes down to what intermediate pressure the OctoZ works at.

The Cyklon 300 1st stage should be adjusted to an intermediate pressure of 12,5 bar (181,25 psi) at 20 bar tank pressure. This is a rather high intermediate pressure and you need to verify with the manufacturer of the OctoZ if it will work with that intermediat pressure.

On a whole, I would not recommend placing 2nd stages that work at different intermediate pressure on the same 1st stage, as this might effect the safety and functionallity of the 2nd stages.

As a regulator technician, I have to agree with Jorgen. Because it's an unbalanced diaphragm first stage, intermediate pressure on this reg goes UP as tank pressure goes down--just the opposite of what one would expect. I can't think of too many downstream regulators that can hold 180+ psi without leaking some (if not a lot). And, if you found one that did, it would breathe like sucking a golfball through a garden hose at normal IPs. Any other first stage and I'd say mix and match to your heart's content, but not Poseidons.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like this combo is not going to work out. Looks like the Poseidon is going to go dormant again if I want to use the OctoZ. Have to get my Sherwood back from my daughter!

Back
Top Bottom