Cyklon question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoctorBob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an old Poseidon Cyklon regulator. It is probably from around 1978. I had it serviced and it still works great. It has a DIN 200 with a yoke adaptor. I usually use it with the yoke adaptor.
Anyway, I recently inherited a steel high pressure tank with a DIN 300 valve. I originally wanted to change the valve on the tank to a din 200 or yoke valve, but the tank has a 7/8 neck, and I have discovered that they do not make din 200 or yoke valves with a 7/8 threads. So, what I was wondering was is there anyway I can change the regulator from din 200 connection to a din 300 connection so I can use it with the tank? Ideally I would still like to use the regulator with the yoke adaptor to use on other tanks.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks!

Short answer is you are probably out of luck. Many years ago someone made a stainless tube and other parts that turned the old Cyklon onto true 300 bar regs. Best bet would be to get a steel cylinder with 200 bar threads. I had the same issue many years ago.

Actually Poseidon does/did make a conversion kit for the older reg. The question you should be asking ourself though is do I want to use the very old pressure compensation method of the 1st stage over the more modern approach. I still use my very old Cyklon 2nd but the 1st stage is used for dry suit inflation only.

The old 1st stage uses a boost to increase IP when supply pressure drops. The IP is set with tank pressure at 300 psi and when full tank pressure is applied the IP drops. So the 2nd breathes really good with a low tank supply and less so when the tank is full.

You can, without modifying the 1st stage obtain a 200 bar convertible valve. Several manufacturers make them and the 1st stage will connect directly to it.

Dale
Poseidon repair tech

Consider finding a Cycklon 5000/Jetsream first stage - they are balanced (unlike the 1st you have) and also have the DIN-300 fitting. It's likely that you could find this for not a lot different cost than the kit, and if you change it when you do your regular service, there should be no extra cost to get it checked.

- Tim

Thanks to all who replied.
The regulator is more of a back up at this point, and I don't really use it any more.
I tried getting a different valve for my tank but they don't make one that fits a tand with the 7/8 thread neck.
Maybe next time I get it serviced i will look into seeing if it can get a 300 bar conversion.
But it is probably really not worth spending much on this regulator, since i don't use it much.

Those old Cyklon regs were really neat in their day. They were in the #1 position for about 20 years. Scubapro had to really think outside the box and came up with the Pilot servo assisted 2nd stage to knock the Cyklon off the top of the hill. I'm knocking the dust off my old Cyklons to use for sidemount:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom