Cylinder Carrier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoBubblesNoTrouble

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

I have a BCJ that is front mount rebreather suitable, however as you would’ve figured by now it does not have the correct systems in place to strap on a Cylinder :poke:

Can I be advised of any ‘backpacks’ (however you call them) that are on the market (similar to that of the Land and Sea variant but of better quality) that I could ‘integrate’ with the current BC to be able to carry a cylinder.

Can any of the harness/backplates on the market at the moment be configured into a workable solution (I.e minus the wing)?

I appreciate the help.
NBNT

Having trouble trying to envision what you are talking about. Pictures and/or links would really help.
Hey Bronco,

Here is an example,

Attachments

• EF4B643A-8ACD-4F1F-80E5-8DAD993B1270.jpeg
    EF4B643A-8ACD-4F1F-80E5-8DAD993B1270.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 68
I still don't get it. It sounds like you have a bcd that is only designed to support rebreathers and you want to convert it into an open circuit bcd? Seems like a lot of work to build a clunky bcd if that's the case. But just going literally, most bp/w rigs with an STA could be dived without the wing. If you really wanted to? I know Piranha diving sells a plastic backplate that resembles the picture you posted.

I still don't get it. It sounds like you have a bcd that is only designed to support rebreathers and you want to convert it into an open circuit bcd? Seems like a lot of work to build a clunky bcd if that's the case. But just going literally, most bp/w rigs with an STA could be dived without the wing. If you really wanted to? I know Piranha diving sells a plastic backplate that resembles the picture you posted.

Hey mate, thanks for the contribution.
I have a BCJ that is designed/suitable for front mount rebreathers (I.e. lars, frogs etc). I do not want to convert, merely have a suitable harness/plate to hold the cylinder on the back. The only real difference is that the inflation of the BCJ will be done through a cylinder on the vest vs the cylinder on the back. Is this clearing it up a little?

How about some pictures of what you have?

It sounds like a very non-standard mix of parts. So unusual that we can't really envision what you have. Thus we can't say what might work if anything could work.

Find attached.

Attachments

• F2A734DA-3B56-4C17-900C-63A22C929C65.jpeg
    F2A734DA-3B56-4C17-900C-63A22C929C65.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 56
Well, now I understand what you want to do. I think it's a bit crazy, but you do you. Piranha sells what you posted a picture of for $13. Plastic Traditional Style Backplate , Piranha Dive Shop |

Also a beefed-up version.

You could also look at the various single tank plates available, such as the Freedom Contour, as long as they don't rely on the wing to stabilize the tank.

This all being said, I am curious why you want to keep using your existing bladder. With a backplate setup for a single tank, you are only missing a wing to have the entire new system.

Haha.

It’s a dream to dive with and I like the way it looks/ fits
:popcorn:
In hindsight I probably will buy a full set up as I do want a wing, and I can always scale it down should I want to dive it as per the discussion in this post.

Do you believe I would have trouble stabilising if I used the method we’ve been talking about without a wing?

What brand(s) should I be looking at? Apeks, XDeep, Zeagle etc?

It’s a dream to dive with and I like the way it looks/ fits
:popcorn:

Do you believe I would have trouble stabilising?

The whole premise of that vest is to squeeze a chest mount between it
Get trained up on a lar or something and that'll help you figure it all out

Back
Top Bottom