Cylinder Markings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lv2dive

Formerly known as KatePNAtl
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It's been kind of quiet in here so I thought I'd post some questions I've been thinking about. Of course there are people I could/should ask :D but I wanted to see what folks have to say... specifically, because I have seen different choices made and I was interested in the rationale behind the decisions.

Obviously the preference is for all unnecessary stickers and other non-essential markings to be removed from cylinders. My questions are related to the markings that should be on the cylinders:
  • Regarding the MOD stickers - do you use 3 inch stickers? For all size tanks, including 40's?
  • Regarding the name - what is your preference for the size of these stickers? Does it change depending on the size of the tank? What do you use: Last name, initials, first initial/last name, or something else? I know there are recommendations but from what I've seen people sometimes deviate from them and I am interested in reasoning behind people's choices.

I love white duct tape and the big wide sharpies from Home Depot. That way, you can change your MOD/Name at will. So, I mark cylinders in measurements of 1 strip or perhaps 1 1/2 strips, or maybe even 2 strips wide with the wide chisel point sharpie.

Anything more complicated than that is complicated. And what if the shop/boat isn't banking your 50 or 70 or 80 or 100? All of your pretty MOD stickers are now worthless. Using my method, you could switch mixes based on the diving offered instead of some preconceived notion. :D

I love white duct tape and the big wide sharpies from Home Depot. That way, you can change your MOD/Name at will. So, I mark cylinders in measurements of 1 strip or perhaps 1 1/2 strips, or maybe even 2 strips wide with the wide chisel point sharpie.

Anything more complicated than that is complicated. And what if the shop/boat isn't banking your 50 or 70 or 80 or 100? All of your pretty MOD stickers are now worthless. Using my method, you could switch mixes based on the diving offered instead of some preconceived notion. :D
funny how duct tape sticks to a mod sticker just as well as the tank...

I use the gue stickers. my name stickers are 1.5 inches tall. the ones on smaller tanks are 1". the font is IMPACT

Crap! Sorry, I had no idea I was in the DIR section. My response still stands, of course, but I didn't mean to crash the party. Continue on with Doing it Right.

litehedded - who prints your name stickers - i got some frm divers signs which are nice but looking for a US alternitve (and i did them too big to fit inbetween my bands of course.:)

I have a zombie response team sticker for my marking on my 19cf. Just saying.

I use 4" stickers for MOD on everything but AL40's. Then I use the "OXYGEN 20" sticker which I believe is 3", maybe 2". Heck I am a man, what do I know about measurements?

For names I use 4" or 3" depending on the bottle and just put initials. My last name is to long! lol

I use the GUE stickers, and I think its worth while to have dedicated tanks. Of course, if you NEED to slap some duct tape on there, go for it, but try to have dedicated tanks. It really makes the logistics easier and reduces confusion of "what's in what tank when?"

For name stickers, I think last name is probably best, and that's what everyone on the Project does (if that's what you're going for). Kate, I can put you in contact with my sticker guy, if you like.

I'm not litehedded :) but doityourselflettering.com has very nice custom lettering that several people use.

Last edited by a moderator:
litehedded - who prints your name stickers - i got some frm divers signs which are nice but looking for a US alternitve (and i did them too big to fit inbetween my bands of course.:)
I get them made by a guy that did my window tinting.
he also makes tacky car decals

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom