Cylinder test dates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrsNic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, could anyone tell me when the cylinder needs testing? If the stamp has August punched out ,is it good until the end of August or did it need doing in July? Many thanks.

In the US, there is the annual visual inspection and the I think 5 year hydrostatic test. Most shops will not fill if either is not up to date. I still use the tank past its date. Just can not fill it. I made a mistake 1 year from date. So End of July is 12th month..

Last edited:
Yes I understand I can't get it filled if it's past the date. It's August this year that is is stamped so was hoping I'll be able to dive/get fills for the rest of the month and get it serviced when I get paid at the end of the month :) thank you.

Most US shops consider the vis sticker to be expired on the first of the punched month.

Most US shops consider the vis sticker to be expired on the first of the punched month.
It is strictly up to the shop. There are no rules.

It is strictly up to the shop. There are no rules.

There are no federal rules mandating an annual VIS but there are lot of dive op rules, most billed as industry standards. I have never found a shop that honored a vis until the end of the month. I did find one that would go a full year if you kept the dated receipt from the inspection. I have also run into ops that claimed I could not use the air in my tank with an expired inspection.

Totally the discretion of the business filling the tank. We consider the viz (and hydro) good through the last day of the month prior to the inspection. For example, if you have an August -15 viz sticker, we'd fill the cylinder through July 31, 2016. Again - totally up to who fills it. Their compressor - their rules.

Back
Top Bottom